twenty three

Poet had officially decided this was a horrible idea. One that would definitely only crash and burn. 

The mayor had closed Southside High claiming it was 'inhospitable' and 'dangerous'. But, come on, that was just a normal Tuesday for the students. 

But clashing the Northside students with the Southside ones? Fucking stupid in Poet's opinion. Total and under bullshit. But the mayor wasn't going to listen to him and there's nothing he could do about it so Poet just sat quietly and held his tongue.

He was already under pressure with the Black Hood and a bunch of testosterone filled Northsiders up his ass wouldn't help at all. 

The rest of the school, with the exception of Poet, Jughead, Kusho, and undoubtedly a few others, didn't hate the idea. But the decisions had been made, the papers signed, and now all they could do is wait. 

Tomorrow would be his first day at a new school. God when was the last time he'd even been in a new school? Everything felt so blurred.

Jughead shifted next to Poet, breaking him from his thoughts.

Poet turned over to face Jughead, propping his head up with a hand. "Can't sleep, either?"

Jughead shook his head, moving closer to Poet. "I keep thinking about everything. The school, the funeral. Today's been a mess." 

Poet nodded in agreement, rubbing Jughead's back. "Yeah."

Today had been shit. The mayor had announced the transfer and close of Southside High early this morning. Then Poet buried his best friend six feet down, slain by a serial killer. Not to mention, the letters still hung over his head, burning into his thoughts and brain. He hadn't told anyone. Fuck, who could he tell?  

The letters currently, were in an envelope under Poet's side of the bed. Sure, it wasn't the best place but Derek would find them at his house and the Jones's trailer was pretty small. Not the best place for hiding things.  

But the Black Hood didn't say not to tell Kusho, Lars, and Robbie. Just not the police or Jughead. He'd have to tell his gang eventually. He couldn't do this himself. Since the night Enoch was killed, Poet had been growing numb. He didn't feel as much anymore. It was like his heart was all blocked up. But, for Jughead and his friends sake, he put on a happy face and pretend like everything was normal. Deep down he knew he was running from the inevitable break down but that was a problem for future Kage. 

After running it through his head a couple of times, Poet decided he'd tell Kusho and Lars and Robbie. Kusho and Lars at school the day they started and Robbie later that day. He wasn't sure how he was going to make it threw it without crying but based on his feelings the past week, it wouldn't be hard. 

Poet looked down at Jughead who snuggled up against his chest, tracing small circles on Poet's bicep. 

"You think this will be okay? With the transfer, I mean. Betty's going to be there and I know she's going to try and talk to me and the Northside pretty much hates us. I just don't know."

Poet sighed and brought Jughead's hand up to his lips, kissing it. "We'll be fine. And if Betty tries anything I'll stop her. And if that doesn't work, we've got Kusho who I know isn't afraid to slap a bitch." 

Jughead chuckled and let out a puff of air. "You're right. We'll be fine. If anything this is better for the Serpents. We'll have working toilets for once. We'll be fine." 

Jughead pecked Poet's cheek and turned over, his leg tangling with Poet's so they were still touching.

Poet laid on his back, his face bare of any emotion.