Transmissions

transmissions • gn!reader
When Din's away on a long job, he gives you a holotransceiver and sends you transmissions to keep you both at ease.

—§—

You sigh as you sit down on the cot, flipping the disk over in your hand a few times as you stare restlessly at it. With a shake of your head, you laugh at yourself, your gaze drifting to the ceiling of the hut as you try to distract yourself. It hasn't even been that long since he left, yet here you are, awaiting his first transmission.

"Knock knock," comes a gentle voice from the door, and you look up to see Omera's smiling face poking through the curtain. You return her smile as best as you can manage, watching as she brings a plate over to you. She notices the baby sleeping in the crib they've given him and so her words come hushed. "I knew you probably weren't up for a big meal tonight, so I fixed you something to eat on your own."

Your heart softens as you smile wider at her, setting the holotransceiver down beside you and taking the plate from her. "You didn't have to, Omera," you insist, but she just shakes her head as you continue. "Thank you."

Omera nods, placing a soft hand on your shoulder. "Let me know if you need anything. All right?"

You give her another grateful look, nodding as you tap her hand with yours. "I will."

She continues to smile even as she walks out. You take a deep breath as you look down at the plate on your lap. You're not too hungry, but you figure you should eat something, and Omera had gone through the trouble of making you this. So, you eat quietly to yourself, your thoughts already drifting to the scene you can't forget from earlier in the day.

The smell of Din had overwhelmed you as you buried your face in his neck that morning, arms wrapping around his bare chest as if your life depended on it. His sigh had ruffled your hair—especially since his face was already buried in it.

"Please don't go," you'd pleaded in vain, your voice muffled by his skin and sounding small. You didn't care.

Din had started to run the tips of his fingers up and down your back to soothe you. "I don't want to," he'd confessed softly, his honesty evident in his tone. "You know I wouldn't if I didn't have to."

You'd let out a soft whimper that caused him to leave a soft kiss on your head. "Do you really have to?"

"I'm afraid so, cyar'ika." Din began to trail gentle kisses along your head and over to your temple, as if he was absorbing every inch of you that he could get. "If I do this job... I could save the baby, permanently. I have to."

You'd released a deep breath, closing your eyes and enjoying the rumble of his baritone beneath your cheek while you could. "I know." One of your hands found its way to the nape of his neck, where your fingers ran through the hair that curled up there. "I'm being selfish."

"No." Din's voice was still soft even as he chastised you. His hands had reached for your face, urging you to sit up more and face him. His dark gaze was gentle and so affectionate that you nearly melted on the spot, unable to resist cupping one of his cheeks with your hand as he went on. "You're proving to me how much you care for me." Din began to smile as he ran his thumbs over your cheeks. "And that means everything to me, cyare. Everything."

You couldn't help returning his smile, even if your eyes had started to get misty. "I love you, Din," you'd whispered to him, afraid that a louder volume would have resulted in too many tears. You'd let your forehead rest against his as you closed your eyes. "And I'm going to miss you—badly."

"I love you too, riduur," Din had responded in the same hushed tone as you, his thumbs still tending to your cheeks gently to soothe you. "And I'll miss you just as much, if not more." You'd reopened your eyes then, drowning in his dark gaze that was more comforting than you could say. He'd given you such an encouraging smile before capturing your lips with his, moving in the familiar and passionate way that drew every breath from your lungs. Yet, he kept it short, pulling away to brush his nose against yours before going on. "I have something that might help, though."