Hold Me in Hyperspace

hold me in hyperspace • gn!reader
After a long hunt, you think Mando just wants some rest—but really, he just wants you.

—§–

Nights like these are always quiet, but you find the silence more peaceful than usual.

Quiet nights aboard the Crest are usually full of unspoken anxiety. It stirs within both you and the baby, your minds fixated on the man who wanders beyond the cold metal walls. You would be out there helping him if you could, but fixing the Crest is why you're here—and after the acquisition of the baby, that's become even more of a reason to stay aboard.

Typically, Mando's hunts don't keep him away from the ship for longer than a night or two, but every once in a while you can go six or seven nights without even hearing from him. Those are the times when the silence chokes you, filling you with fear as even the baby finds himself unable to do anything more than cuddle into your figure and let his ears droop down to his sides. Even his favorite shiny ball goes untouched, left as nothing in comparison to the worried thought of his father.

That's what happened with this hunt. The baby knew of his return before you did, cooing excitedly just before Mando's signature knock appeared on the outside of the ship. You couldn't have stood up faster from your place in the hull if you'd tried, disengaging ground security protocol and lowering the hatch for Mando to come back inside. He looked as if he was carrying the entire galaxy on his shoulders thanks to his exhaustion, but he still responded to the baby's joy by picking him up as soon as the baby's little legs carried him over to his father. You tried not to make your admirable observation of them too obvious, especially when Mando touched his helmeted forehead to the baby's.

Mando had gotten the baby to sleep in his pram pretty easily, thanks to the little one's own exhaustion after worrying for his father so much. He tended to a single wound on his forearm, a cut that didn't look very deep. Still, you offered your help, though Mando assured you he was all right and asked if you could get the Crest into hyperspace for a while.

That's where you are now, leaning back in the pilot's chair as you watch the blue light of hyperspace flicker around you. Seeing Mando has resolved much of the anxiety within you, but there's still a part of you that wants to know what took him so long. You wish you could be more sure of his safety, perhaps even try to ease him to rest yourself, but you know that's nothing but a dream. It's a dream you've had before and—after knowing Mando long enough—it's one you don't see becoming reality.

With a soft sigh, you make yourself get up from the chair, double checking to make sure everything's all set before you hop down from the ladder. You nearly panic for a moment when you turn and see that Mando's nowhere to be found, but as soon as you turn your head just slightly to the left, you can see the open door to his cramped quarters. Sure enough, Mando's figure is resting inside, unmoving from what you can tell. When you take a few steps closer, you can see his silver cuirass rising and falling slowly.

You smile. This is the most peaceful state you've ever seen Mando in—and you know he deserves it.

The smile is hard to get rid of as you look around the hull, trying to find the spare blankets Mando keeps for emergencies. Considering this to be an emergency of your own, you take one from the pile inside a cargo box, quietly making your way back over to Mando's quarters as you unfold the soft material. Trying to be as careful as you can, you set the blanket over his armored figure, reaching as far as your arms can manage to tuck the end of it just under the edge of his beskar helm. Your hands linger for a moment as you yet again smile at the sight of him resting, though you try to bite it back as you start to pull away. You think you've gotten away with it until then.