Chapter 1

Chapter one: The loss of a friend.

(May's Point of View)

The heavy boots the guards wore always made a lot of noise when they marched past the cell doors. It was like a warning to us that it was our blocks's turn to be tested. I am from block O+, my name is May. I have been here for about seven years now. There are about 300 "subjects" as they refer to us in each block. There are three blocks, O+, O, AB+, and each block is slit in two. One side for boys, and the other for girls.

The footsteps I heard almost everyday reminded me of the day they brought me here, the day they took away my freedom.

"May!" June whispered in a frightened voice as I heard the doors unlock and three nurses and two guards walked in.
"Numbers 100-110 step forward" Spoke the man in the black uniform.

I felt June's grip tighten around my hand as one of the nurses called out our numbers, meaning it was our cell's turn to be tested. The guards cuffed our hands, and took us to the rooms where they would sedate us and inject another dose of that horrid liquid into us. Forcing us one-by-one into separate metal rooms (gas chambers) to see how much poison gas we could stand.

I knew what was coming, we all did, and all we could do was stand there and cry in pain. Like apathetic puppets being dragged around without free will.

The whizzing noise of the gas being released made my tears finally overflow as the numbing pain made my mind go completely blank. I had stopped thinking about the pain a long time ago. I just want to be free, But anyone who tried to escape, dies.

~3 days later~

A horrible smell woke me up, the lights were still off so I guess I'll have to go back to sleep. My fingers were still entangled around June's small bony hands. They seemed so cold.
"June" I called for her, but she did not answer.
"June" I called again, in a panicked voice.
I slowly tried sit up, only to feel a wave of pain up my spine. I cautiously look at June, her face was pale like paper and her eyes were dull. I rolled onto my stomach and grabbed June's shoulders, desperately shaking her as hard as I could. My tears flowed freely, blurring the world in front of me.
"June you have to wake up..." Was all I could choke out.
I slowly let go of her hand, and pushed my face into her dusty grey robe. Huffing raspy breaths onto her corpse, not having enough energy to cry. The realization of her death crawled onto me like small spiders making me wheeze harder. The one person who made me feel human in this hell was stolen from me.

AUTHORS NOTE! :3
"There are worse things than being alone, but it often takes decades to realize this. And most often when you do, it's too late, and there's nothing worse than too late"
-Charles Bukowski

Please like and comment!