Chapter 15

May's Point of View

Hard shots pinged as they collided with metal doors, but I was surrounded by darkness. All my memories now somehow seemed fake. The shots continued, along with the shuffles of panicked feet and cries of the imprisoned children.
There was one sound I didn't recognize, a persistent beeping kept cutting into my train of thought.

"I think she's waking up!" A voice stated and two thick fingers pulled my eye lids apart. Followed by a blinding light that reminded me of the sun.
"Can you please state your age?" The voice asked again, uncaring. I took a deep breath in from my mouth, immediately coughing and croaking. My mouth had never felt this dry.
"Fou-Fourt.. Fourteen" I coughed again.
My eyes had finally opened, and I saw a man with thick glasses and a white coat. His gaze fixated on me, and oddly confused.
"Umm.. It says here you are 21 years old ma'am"
I didn't know how to respond. I was in a strange room, with a strange man telling me I was 8 years older than I am. Was this part of the experiments? Some cruel game to push us away from reality?
"Ma'am do you remember what happened to you?"
There was a brief pause before I could answer.
"I was kidnapped by the government when I was 6 and have been kept as a tool for their sick experiments for 7 years!" Anger and the very real sense of danger lingering everywhere. But the man only looked at me as though I was insane.
"This building has been vacant for over 10 years, and was recently turned into a hospital for our soldiers. When we first came to set up, rescue team A found you and a few others in a medically induced coma."
More than half those words didn't make sense to me, the situation being more out of my control than I first thought it was.
"Ma'am would you like a mirror?" He asked.
Without thinking, I nodded my head. He reached to the table behind him and handed me a small mirror.
I gasped as I saw the face looking back at me. The woman in there, was that really me? My hair was long and un-brushed, my sleek face exposing my cheek bones. This was defiantly not the face of a fourteen year old.
"Do you have any family we can call to come pick you up?
"Y-You mean I can leave?" I choked out.
"After we take your blood pressure, yes you can!" He said enthusiastically.
"Outside, please, take me outside.." As I said that, he looked at me like I was crazier than before, but he listened. He pulled out the needle that had been sticking in my arm, and helped my on my feet. It was painful, like my body had forgotten how to walk.
Leaning on the man, I was lead to through lit hallways, and soon I was in front of a painfully familiar door with the word "EXIT" above it.
I pushed the door open, all the hairs on my arms and legs immediately standing up. My pale legs peeking out from the long white gown I was wearing.
"I can leave?" I asked again.
"You're free to go anywhere you please," he said smiling.

THE END