Chapter 3

Chapter 3. Not So Hopeless.

(Luke's Point of View)

Staring into the eerie darkness I wondered for how long they'd halt their experiments. The pain would be back. My eyes stayed open, refusing to close and give into my subconscious. Everything was quiet. When I was younger, I was lulled to sleep by car alarms and cursing drunks. Eventually my rigid eyelids gave into the night.

~The Next Morning~

Ring! Ring!

I woke up to the loud morning bell. The blocks didn't have windows, so we never know if it's day of night. I looked over to the girls' side of the room, my eyes unconsciously fell upon May. Her skin was not as pale as the other girls, and her eyes were an innocent almond brown.
I wondered what her life would be like if she weren't here, what it would be like to meet her at a park or at school.
"May" I called in a small voice.
"Yeah" she answered, her voice hoarse from crying.
I got up and walked toward her mattress and sat next to her.

After staring at her vulnerable figure for a second, I realized what we had to do.

"We should escape together" I blurted out.
Her eyes widened as she stared at me in shock.

"We can't, we'll die.." She answered in an uncertain voice.

"Isn't dying better than staying alive in here" I stated

"I.. I don't want to die"

"You won't, I promise"
She hesitated for a moment, then gently placed her hands on top of mine. "We need a plan"

There were two guards on the other side of the door, they both have keys. All we had to do was get them to open the door, then figure out a way to get the keys from them. We had no way of knowing what's outside the block which made things much harder.

May and i spent the rest of the day thinking up plans, most of them were pretty stupid.
Time floated by freely, even in a place like this.
Every now and then she summoned a small smile, and every time she did I felt a sharp pain in my chest. For some reason I loved that feeling.

"what if we try to use the air vent" she said suddenly.
I paused for a moment before giving a quick nod, but even the vents required keys.

"we just need the keys"

Her eyes peered into mine. The look in her eyes were different now, there was a mixture of determination, anger, and excitement. "we can't do this by ourselves"

Ring! Ring!

The curfew bell pulled us away from our thoughts.
"Let's get some rest for now" I said, before finally getting up, and walking over to my own mattress.
There was a weird empty feeling in my head as I walked away from May, but I tried my best to ignore it.

"Goodnight" I heard her say before I felt myself fall into the hands of slumber.