Chapter 6

Chapter 6. Almost There.

(Chris' Point Of View)

I could hear May and Luke behind me. I took a quick right turn, at the end of the hallway was an emergency exit. I rushed toward it, we were going to be free!
I pulled at the door handle.
"It's locked" I spoke, agitation clearly audible in my voice.
Luke ran in front of May, and into another hallway. Less than a minute later he came running back with a fire extinguisher. Before I could react Luke was banging the fire extinguisher on the small window that was on the emergency exit.
The guards' footsteps were getting louder every second.

CRACK!

The glass shattered, the small pieces looking like crystals. I pushed myself through the window, careful not to cut myself on the glass. May was next, then Luke.
It took me a second to realize where we were.
"The sun" May whispered, tears forming on the corners of her eyes.
Luke put his hand on her shoulder and smiled. I stood there in awe, then remembered the situation. There was still a tall fence in our way, but it looked climbable.
"We need to get out of here fast" I stated. Luke nodded.
I ran as fast as my body could handle, adrenaline pushing though my veins like needles.

BANG! BANG!

They had started shooting. I kept running until I heard an ear splitting scream.
I turned around and saw May had been shot in the leg. Luke was desperate to try and carry her.
"Let go of me and run" May shouted.
Luke was in tears. The were still shooting, if I started running now I could still make it. I tried to move but my legs had turned to stone.

(May's Point Of View)

My left leg was covered in fresh pinkish blood. The guards were running toward us.
"You need to run" I kept telling Luke, but he just shook his head.
"You need to go taste freedom, please! Go and live! For me!" I said to him.
"I can't leave you" he said.
"You won't be"
He hesitated but then slowly started getting up. Right when he was up on his feet, two holes appeared on his head. Some of Luke's blood splattered on me. His once beautiful body, now looked mangled and bloody. My tears fell on his body and mixed with his blood.
I had no time to react but at the same it felt like my sense of time had stopped. I clung to his body desperately, i thought if i were to let go now he would disappear forever.
I felt something warm wrap around my fingers.
I looked down at Luke, he was smiling. More tears slipped out my eyes.
"smile" he whispered to me, the expression he wore was the same one he had the first day we met
"don't leave me" i choked out through my tears.
"i won't" his grip on my hand loosened and his hand fell to his side.
"No, Please No" I screamed.
I felt another hand on my shoulder, but this one was rough. The guard handcuffed my hands behind me. I didn't resist, what was the point. This is what I get for trying to escape. I let out a humourless chuckle, I guess this is what i deserve.

Authors Note!
Find what you love, and let it kill you.
-Bukowski

Hope you like this book so far. Don't forget to vote and comment!