Chapter 5

Chapter 5. Freedom?

(Mays Point Of View)

I unrolled more than half of the toilet paper from its roll and put it in a corner of the room.
It would be while before the food trays came, I looked around the concrete Block I was imprisoned in. I saw Luke sitting on his mattress, he seemed so troubled. I made my way across the room, to him. I touched his shoulder, his warmth made me shudder. I felt a painful throb in my chest as he turned around. His eyes were red from crying, and his arms were covered in dried blood and self-inflicted scratches. My tears felt like blood, I felt them roll down my cheek, and drip off my chin.

He noticed my tears and reached his hand out to me.
"I'm okay" he said in an assuring tone.
"You don't seem okay" I replied, finally being able to control my sobs.
"I'm just scared, what if it's all for nothing" Luke's voice was shaky, and sprinkled with agitation. I reached for his hand and placed it on my chest.
"My heart is beating, but I'm not fully alive" I explained "You're the one who showed me that"
I pulled him into a warm embrace, letting his head rest on my shoulder. I slid my thin fingers through his lightly greasy chocolate brown hair.
I felt a weird achy feeling in my chest, I don't really know how to put this feeling to words.
I just knew I needed Luke to live, no matter what.

~An Hour Later~

I could see his chest lift up and sink down at a steady pace. Chris walked over to me.
"They should be bringing the food soon, be ready"
"I am" I replied, looking Chris straight in the eye.
Chris tapped Luke on his shoulder a few times before his body fluttered awake. I smiled at his grogginess.
Once he was fully awake we sat together on Chris' mattress, waiting for the nurse to bring food.
We heard the click of the door unlocking, the nurse pushed in the 14 food trays through the door then quickly locked it again.
"Let's get started" I exclaimed.
We quickly ate our meals. All three of us picked up our metal trays, and went to the corner of the room, where the toilet paper was. We start hitting them on the concrete floor, small sparks caused by the friction landed on the thin paper.
It's going to work, I kept telling myself.
Then suddenly, a small crackling flame emerged. I looked over at Luke and saw him grinning back at me.

We walked close to the door and started yelling, "HELP! FIRE! THERE IS A FIRE IN HERE!"
The guards must have hesitated at first, then unlocked the door to check on us.
Their eyes widened at the sight of fire.
"Get the handcuffs, make sure all the subjects get out alive!" Said one of the guards in an irritated voice.
"We need to do this now" Luke whispered in my ear, I answered him with a small nod.
I heard Chris' footsteps rush in front of me, and Luke's behind my own.
Three of the guards were following us.
"We need to hide" I heard Chris say.
"Where" Luke questioned.
"Anywhere"
It felt like my legs were numb. I knew I was running, but the only thing I could feel was fear of getting caught, and the adrenaline pumping through my entire body.
"We can do this" I stated. But I was so wrong.