{ONE}

My whole world changed while I was still a toddler.

I couldn't tell you the colour of my mother's eyes, the sound of my father's voice, who my childhood best friend was. But I could tell you all about my brother. I could tell you his hair colour, his voice, how he has freckles marking his nose, how he was left-handed.

How deep he cut my throat thinking it would kill me after stabbing our parents over ten times each.

Lucca was a monster. And deep inside it made me wonder if I was a monster too. If he could kill his whole pack without a second thought, was I really any saner than he was? I mean, I had done some fucked up things in my nineteen years of life.

For example, I tried to poison my adopted father before I knew who he was and I'm pretty sure half the things I did just this week would have broken a law or two.

Lucca stole my voice from me for the simple fact that I was a stronger wolf than he was. He said I was the family's favourite. And honestly, I didn't know if he was wrong or not because he stole that from me too.

Any memory I had of my parents was clouded with blood and darkness. Smoke and screams. Was I loved? I could remember our father taking me to the lake once. Did that mean he loved me more? Was Lucca there that day too?

I didn't know. But since that night, life hadn't gotten much easier. Even after I was adopted.

"Happy Birthday to you, happy birthday dear Star-r! Happy Birthday to you!"

I stared at the cake as it was set down in front of me. Nineteen bright candles lit up the chocolate cake and the words underneath it.

Happy Birthday Star

I sighed. Knowing full and well my face was glowing from the candlelight. All eyes on me, ready and waiting.

For the past six years, I was told the same thing "When the song is over make a wish for the perfect gift, and blow out the candles"

And every year I wished for the same little things.

When I turned thirteen I wished for a bike and got a bike.

Fourteen I wished for a new Hollywood Undead hoodie and got one.

Fifteen were three tickets to see Fallout Boy for Ivan, Rule and I.

Sixteen was a car.

Seventeen I wanted a night at a hotel for me and my friends.

Eighteen was to be left alone for just five minutes. 

But I was done with trivial gifts for a wish. I wanted something more. Something money couldn't buy.

I wanted my mate.

It sounded cheesy and stupid. But it's what I wanted. I wanted to finally feel happy. Feel whole.

I wanted someone who'd love me like my dad loved each other. Like how my friends all loved their mates

I watched everyone around me fall in love. And I wanted that. I wanted to be loved.

I didn't want to be looked at like a broken toy anymore. I hated the looks on people's faces when they found out I couldn't talk. That I had no voice.

Pity.

I fucking hated pity. I know it's half the reason my dad's kept me. They felt bad for that poor starved pre-teen that couldn't talk. Darren even went out of his way to learn ASL before I was even his responsibly.

I ground my teeth together before I blew out the candles and listened to the whoops and cheers of the people around me — the loudest being my father's.