{TWENTY-EIGHT}

Not a lot of people get to remember saying their first words to their parents.

But a lot of people haven't been mute basically their whole lives.

There was a collective silence around the room when I spoke until Darren walked up to me and wrapped his arms around my head, kissing the top of it in the way only my dad could.

I felt a bit odd, I didn't want the attention but at the same time, I welcomed it with open arms, because I'd never get a moment like this again.

We were now sat around the dinner table now, the twins had found their way back into the house and into their playroom, I could hear a tablet playing Blippi from where I sat with Riot and my dads.

Nobody said anything right away, I didn't want to be the first to fill the awkward silence, and I knew Riot wasn't going to do it. It only took a few minutes until Silas finally cleared his throat and pushed a postcard to the middle of the table.

It was from Fredrikstad Norway. And was torn around the edges. It was singed simply with an S on the bottom, and a date that showed it was sent two weeks ago.

Riot looked over to see it, he let out a sigh taking it from my hands and looking it over before placing it back on the table. "What could it mean?" I asked, looking up at Darren.

"We're not sure. We haven't had anything suspicious happening, nobody has left. You're the first car to drive into town since we came home. We've got Quinn working on it too. It could mean anything. Lucca, Charles. We don't know. If they're tracking you it's best to be here then on an open farm."

"We can set you up in one of the guesthouses if you want." Silas looked a little pained to say it as his eyes went between Riot and Me, and I knew it couldn't be easy for either of them to that they weren't the only important thing in my life anymore, and that having my own space would almost be needed. Not that I wanted to, and not just for Riot and I to be alone. But I didn't want to wake up at 6 am with the twins, and I'm sure Riot didn't either. For him to be comprtable, our own space was needed.

I nodded, tapping my fingers on my legs. "Just until we get all this figured out."

"I gotta ask—" Darren started, but Silas hit him in the arm.

"Ask,"

"Was it?"

"Yea..."

"Did it hurt?" there was a pregnant pause where Silas's eyes widened for a moment hearing Darren's question. "Your voice coming back," It quickly added when the realization hit him."Your voice, did it hurt when it came back?"

I cleared my throat, shrugging. "Not really. I just woke up and it was back. Riot's pack doctor suggested seeing Dr. Victor. I guess I should make an appointment."

"Well, what should we have for dinner then?"

I moved what things I had left at home into a guest house a block away from home

I moved what things I had left at home into a guest house a block away from home. My bedroom at home was dark and full of memories that made my skin itch, that made me want to run away. But Riot was there, and he didn't let me run. He let me take my time as I put a few things into boxes that used to occupy a space in the basement. We sat on the sofa that came with the house hours later, I was tired. I jsut wanted to close my eyes and sleep. But I couldn't.

My mind was whirling, though there were guards around the block I was staying on, purposely to watch my place. I still couldn't erase the triggering feeling that was inside me by just being back here.

I didn't text anyone, Ivan knew I was around. But they didn't want to come the same day I came back. They insisted on giving me space, which I was more than thankful for. I needed space. I didn't want to not be able to face my friends. But I was scared about what would happen.

"You need to calm down Alister." Riot said in a light tone, he was sat on the other side of the sofa, our feet barely touched as we both looked at our respective phones, though Riot also had a book that he brought with him opened in his other hand.

"And how the fuck should I do that? The only thing that used to calm me down is a big no-no"

"You don't need drugs to calm down," He said with an eye roll, shutting his book. I huffed putting my phone down.

"You don't know that, you don't understand." I was frustrated, My hands were moving in odd ways as I spoke, looking towards my mate who just raised a curious brow at me. I stood up, huffing like a child again as I wrapped my arms around myself. "I just feel so—"

Riot stood up behind me, "I know," He mumbled, shocking me with two arms around my waist as he stood behind me. It wasn't much, but it made everything in me stop for a moment. My hands, head, everything paused for a second and I took a deep breath, turning myself around to look at him before putting my forehead on his shoulder. "It's too dark to go for a run," He started, "maybe first thing in the mornign that's what we should do. It should help. Then we can get coffee with your friend Ivan." I hummed a yes into his shirt, my arms tucked safely in between us.

We stood for a moment, my heart rate picking up every moemtn we stood there, but no longer was it beating with stress. More with the fact that I was this close to Riot. His smell, his body heat. Everything about it was mesmerizing.

I picked my head up after a few more seconds and looked at him, watching him as he watched me for the second before our lips crashed together.

Kissing Riot would never get old, feeling him with me was something that still blew my mind.

I couldn't understand how I got so lucky. I didn't understand how someone as put together, composed and strong willed as Riot would go anywhere near me. But here he was, in a whole other country, standing in the living room of a small house that we could momentarily call our own. With his lips pressed on mine, his hands on my hips.

The world outside these doors was scary. But right here, right now. I never felt safer.