Chapter 18

"I know you're awake." Charlie heard. Darn it, she thought as her eyes fluttered open.

She had woken up a couple of minutes ago and silently watched Morpheus look out of the window. He looked so in peace and she really enjoyed the fact that his back was turned to her. She could watch him like a creep and he wouldn't even know. Well, at least that's what she thought.

"What happened?" For a moment, she was really lost. It was only when Morpheus spoke, did she realize she was in the hospital. In a hospital gown as well, she lifted the blanket. Her eyes met Morpheus' again.
"You had an allergic reaction and fell unconscious." He answered, sitting back down on the chair by her bed.

Her memory came back half a minute after his words. She remembered her mother and the strange cookies.
"Morpheus, something was wrong with-"

"I noticed. Your mother was acting strange. I came to the realization when she hesitated to call the ambulance." He told Charlie, holding eye contact with her in order to see her reaction.
"My mom would've never hesitated. She would've yelled at the paramedics to come as fast as possible." Charlie frowned when she said that. She was now worrying about her mother as well as her father's wellbeing.

"I figured as much. But we cannot let this incident hold us up. I need to know that you are still on board with the plan." Morpheus feared Miss Denver would rather be with her mother and delay their adventure once more.
"Is this why you're here? To reassure that I'm coming with you?" Charlie felt her heartbeat drop. What the heck?

"No, I am also here for you. I had to make a protocol for the hospital. Seeing as you obviously couldn't do that when you were still unconscious." Morpheus shrugged and looked down at his shoes. They appeared to be more interesting than analysing the sudden feeling of warmth in his cheeks. Was he embarrassed? Maybe he shouldn't have come along. Maybe Miss Denver wanted to see her mother instead.

"Thank you." Charlie said, also finding her own fingers more interesting than the newfound feeling she was currently experiencing. Was she disappointed to hear him continue after saying 'I'm also here for you'? What was wrong with her? Why was she suddely feeling so awkward around him?

"I should go and tell Darian to postpone the flight." Morpheus shot up from his seat, fed up by the awkward tension in this room.
"That is, if you're still coming with me?" He asked her, feeling stupid for sounding so hopeful. He could very well understand if she didn't want to come along with him.

Charlie was close to shaking her head and telling him no. But she remembered Hypnos' words. She remembered her father and the chance of helping him. Her mother's weird behaviour would have to wait. Even though it made her feel very uneasy about leaving. Was her mother even really okay with her not being at home for a while? She really wasn't herself and maybe-

Charlie's eyes widened when she remembered Hypnos' words a few hours ago.

She was about to leave his office when he called out her name. Charlie turned around again to look at his smirking self.

"You are very easy to read. Your mother had told me so too. A very nice woman by the way. I made sure to ease her worry a bit. But do make sure to do as you promised quickly. We don't have much time."

"Miss Denver?" Her eyes blinked her thoughts away for a moment and she looked back at Morpheus.
"Yes?" She asked him, her voice sounding strange to him.
"Did you hear what I asked you?" He frowned at her and took a step closer. Her eyes narrowed at that, so he stopped. What was wrong with her now, he wondered?

"Yes, I will be coming with you." She said after shaking her head. Morpheus had no idea about his father's plan, so she had no reason to be scared of him. Yet, she made sure to be more aware of everything and everyone around her. Hypnos was probably the reason why her mother was behaving weird. And she could only imagine the amount of power and possibilities he had to manipulate the two on their way.