Chapter 40

Morpheus looked around the now messed up room. He had trashed it beyond repair. Well, what else was he supposed to do?

He had to find Charlotte and if it meant going crazy, so his keeper would let him go. His keeper. His father. Morpheus shook his head. No, he would get answers from Hypnos when the time came. But he was going nowhere without Charlotte.

"Hey!" Morpheus yelled, hearing turmoil outside.
"Let me out!" He tried again, not knowing how he would ever leave this place. There was only one way out. No windows, no vents. Just one door. And obviously, he did not have the keys. So, he would try distracting that Are. Even though if he thought too much about it, he knew there was no way that Are would ever disobey his master. But that didn't matter. He was prepared to use force.

"Morpheus!" He heard an unfamiliar voice. His ears perked up, as well as his eyebrows. Who was that? Morpheus reached the door, trying the golden door handle again.

"I'm in here!" He yelled upon realizing the door was still locked. He knocked against the door, carrying on his yelling. Eventually, the handle moved as someone from the other side of the door opened it with a key.

Morpheus took a step back, waiting to see his saviour. He frowned at the sight and immediately took another step backwards.
"You." Came his vocal reaction, his eyes roaming the pale man's face, running over his green eyes, long nose and thin lips.

"Dearest brother." The guy smirked, leaning against the doorway, the keys in his hands dangling from his ring finger with familiar noise as he crossed his arms.
"I didn't necessarily expect you to thank me, but I did just open this door for you." He raised an eyebrow, provoking and confusing Morpheus further.

"Who else is with you?" He heard another voice, Morpheus remembered.
"My favourite brother, Phantasos." He shrugged.
"Hello, nice to finally meet you. I have heard so much about you." Morpheus' eyes widened. Looking around, Morpheus felt the adrenaline in his body leave. He felt tired and exhausted.

"What-"
"I will explain later." Phobetor sighed before stepping to the side, revealing a sleeping Charlotte, standing behind what looks like a glas shield, seemingly keeping her from running to Morpheus again.

"Charlotte. What have you done to her?" Morpheus snapped, quickly running towards her. When he was close enough, Phantasos retrieved the shield and let them meet.
"Nothing. She fell asleep." Phobetor responded, watching with curiosity as Morpheus checked her body for injuries, smoothly caressing her face when he was done.

"Oh, Charlotte." He gulped, gently starting to shake her awake. Phobetor carried a knowing smirk, watching Morpheus fail at his task.
"What have you done." Morpheus didn't sound like he was asking Phobetor. It was more of a punishing statement for himself. As if he blamed himself again, making Phobetor roll his eyes.

"Listen-" He didn't get to finish his sentence before having Morpheus' hands around his neck. Phobetor laughed at his brother's outburst.
"Stop it, you two!" Phantasos now created translucent strings, tying around Morpheus' wrists, holding him back.
"What is this?!" Morpheus growled, still trying to get to Phobetor.

"That is our brother's doing. And he is right. Stop being a human and listen carefully." Phobetor shrugged off his shoulder as if his brother dirtied his black leather jacket.
"Hypnos is not who you think he is. He's your father, granted. But I doubt he told you about his two other sons, the ones he had before seducing your mother. The ones he left. Well, one he tried to abduct, but failed miserably." Morpheus shook his head, his heart seemingly dropping at the thought.

"Oh, and he has sent you on this impossible mission to right your wrong doing. But you haven't cursed your sleeping beauty here, so this whole trip was unnecessary. I believe he found out about Charlotte the moment he met her."

"What are you talking about?" Morpheus looked back at Charlotte, hoping she was still alive.
"Free him." Phobetor ordered and Phantasos did as told. The pale man neared Morpheus again and eyed Charlotte.
"Embrace her." He said.

"What?" Morpheus snapped. What was wrong with this guy?
"Just do it, idiot. And I will tell you what's wrong with her." Phobetor pushed Morpheus' shoulder towards the sleeping woman.

With an audible gulp, Morpheus settled his arms around Charlotte's waist and her arms instinctively hooked around his neck. Still a little tight for his liking, just like the first few times she had hugged him. Only that this time, Morpheus accepted it and returned the hug.

His eyes closed as instinctively as the feeling that suddenly settled in his chest. It spread throughout his whole body, running in his veins, making his hands and feet tingle. But the most intense part was his stomach. It wasn't like butterflies. It was something more intense. Something that made him feel like it was time. Like he had graved this feeling his whole life. And now that he finally had it, he would never let go.

"Now that we have started this miracle, we should get out of here. You know what happens if they get separated during this sensitive state." Phobetor reminded his brother, who immediately encaged the peacefully sleeping pair.
"They would die." Phantasos answered.

"Yes, now move." Phobetor urged, turning to leave the empty hallway.
"We should go together. Mother would-"
"Phantasos, we locked the Are away. I will be fine. You need to move fast and ensure their safety." There was a noise, contradicting his words.
"I cannot see them. It must be-"

Phantasos' words were cut short as suddenly Phobetor was lifted off the ground and slammed against the wall.
"No!" Phantasos yelled, causing sharp nails to stick out of the walls, careful to watch his brother. But Phobetor's eyes were closed, the impact against the wall had caused him unconsciousness. Morpheus and Charlotte were momentarily forgotten as a nail caught something invisible, yelping in pain.

"Show yourself!" Phantasos ordered, immediately encaging the now visible creature. It was a mixture of a lizard and a fly and Phantasos immediately looked around the hallway. There was no way this creature worked alone.
"Damned Farels." Phobetor said after regaining consciousness. His voice weak.

"Mother was right. Morpheus was bait. Bait to get you. I must tell her imm-"
"No, you won't. We will leave here together. Have you forgotten who I am?" The tall, slender man snapped, glaring at the creature.
"Mother has granted you permission to leave. He has every opportunity to-"

"Help them and I will help myself, Phantasos. Now!"
"No."
"What is wrong-"

"My boys. Always fighting." Hypnos' voice suddenly appeared and both brothers, despite Phantasos not having a body, felt a cold shiver run down their spine. How was this possible.
"Don't you worry, I am not here. I wouldn't risk it. Human technology is at fault here. I can see you, but you can't see me." Phobetor now noticed the cameras as well as speakers high up on the ceiling.

"I am happy to see all my three boys together. How much I would love to experience this reunion in person. And not through a computer."
"Why don't you? Coward!" Phobetor started.
"How rude, son."
"I am not-"
"Phobetor, we must leave." Phantasos warned, feeling the ground shake.

"That might serve as a problem. You can leave, Phantasos. I have tried once and frankly, I feel no desire to do so again. But you do have an important role now. Do you help your brother or do your duty and save an innocent human?" Hypnos' tone of voice was mocking the brothers.

"You know what to do, Phan. I will be fine." Phobetor rolled back his shoulders, ready to fight.
"I cannot-"
"You will and you will tell mother nothing yet. I will handle this. The chance to kill this bastard was long overdue for me. Let me take it." Laughter erupted and both brothers felt ready to see blood.

"Go. Now." This time, Phantasos listened. He knew trying to convince his brother of anything was not going to happen any time soon.
"I will find you again. I promise." With that, the cage moved down the hallway, out of Phobetor's sight. He heard the heavy front door close shut loudly.

"He mustn't worry. You're not who I want. But he will bring me that once I have you."

Phobetor took a deep breath, determination in his eyes as he lifted his fists in challenge. He would fight- no, he would kill Hypnos, once and for all.