Epilogue

The evening was beautiful. The sun was still out, causing a pretty shimmer of light through the leaves of the trees surrounding the parking lot outside of the New Habbershire police and military cemetery. Charlie cast a look over the calm white clouds above her. She knew he would love it.

Her father was a big fan of boring autumn days. When the sun would be covered in clouds, and every once in a while a light breeze of wind would hit your face. Autumn had just started in New Habbershire, so the ground was covered in orange leaves, some spots left for green and yellow. The minority of them were crunchy already, but most still had time. 

"Are you okay?" Charlie looked back to the person next to her. The pale skin on their usually rosy cheeks. The rather messy bun as opposed to the neat knot that would normally hold their gray hair.
"Yes." Elizabeth Denver responded with a sniff as she nodded.

"Mom, we can stop if you-"
"No, I want to go. I have to go, I'm his wife." She shook her head, knowing her daughter knew exactly how hard it was. After all, she had just lost her father as well. And worst thing was, she still couldn't remember the last few days with him. Her mother would tell her that they sat down every evening to eat dinner together as a family of three. But Charlie really- no matter how hard she tried- could not remember spending his last dying days with her beloved father.

But as a response to her mother, she wordlessly nodded and lead them through the iron gate of the cemetery. Her father's funeral was held outside, just like he would've liked it.

"My condolences." Some distant relatives that Charlie had maybe seen a couple of times during her childhood, showed their deepest sympathy. Yet, Charlie did not feel it. Instead, she felt upset. And if she was being honest, she would rather be alone at this vulnerable time. She'd want her father to be surrounded by people who loved him and cared for him until the very last breath he took. Not these pretentious cousins and aunts that didn't even regret never visiting and helping out. They just wanted a clean conscience now and it really bothered Charlie.

"Here, honey." Elizabeth nudged her daughter, leading them to the two seats in the front row, right across their beloved. The younger Denver took a deep breath and decided to ignore the soft chattering behind her. And once the priest cleared his throat, she decided to focus completely on him. 

"We are gathered here today, in order to celebrate the life of Johnson Hank Denver. A beloved father, husband, sun and uncle. If he-"

Something behind the priest caught Charlie's attention. It was a big black bird. Too big to be a crow and too small for a hawk. But it was pitch black, the deepest shade she had ever seen on an animal. It was far away, but Charlie felt as if it was looking right at her. As if it surveyed her, holding respectable distance. 

"He did." Charlie heard her mother agree to some of the preaching, making her glance back at the priest again. She blinked and remembered why she was here again. It was her father's funeral and it was disrespectful to be distracted by a damn bird. It was the least she could do for him. 

"I believe John's daughter is here to say a few words." That was her cue, Charlie thought as she nodded and slowly stood up. Her hands fixed her skirt quickly and elegantly, before she took three strides towards the spot that the priest had just left. From that angle, she saw her father's coffin, happy it was closed already. She found it rather creepy whenever people would insist on seeing the dead body of their lost one in movies.

"My name is Charlie and I would like to say a few words about my father. My idol. The man, who showed me how to be the best version of myself. I have always believed my dad would live forever. That he, as my big hero, would somehow just outlive me, at least. But when he was diagnosed with cancer, everything changed within a snap of my fingers." Charlie's voice broke. She lifted the gaze off of her weeping mother and decided to look over towards some elder police officers, that showed their respect to their former sheriff.