Chapter 58: The Ice Queen Visits Fiery Flames

My eyes remained closed as I woke slowly. My body was numb, but a good numb. A happy numb. “Do you think they did it?” A faraway voice asked softly. 

“God, no. Can you imagine what would happen? Would they be Wolves or humans?” Another equally far voice replied. I let out a soft groan, shifting. “See? They have clothes on.”A throaty chuckle sounded and a softer voice began to talk. 

“What did you think they did? They’re just sleeping...” Raucous laughter sounded and I threw a hand out of the warm blanket, hissed furiously, and slipped back into sleep. 

When I woke again, my body wasn’t numb anymore. I could feel the warmth of a familiar body pressed close to mine. Clean earth wafted to my nose, along with a faint scent of freshly fallen snow. Aisu. Our legs were entangled hopelessly. My arms were clutching the fabric of his shirt, one hand under his back, the other near his heart. I could feel it beating gently beneath his skin. 

Aisu’s arms were tight around me. One arm snaked about my lower back and held me close, the other was tangled deep into my hair. I sighed with a hopelessly happy smile. I wanted to stay like this, with Aisu, forever. “I love you.” Aisu murmured lowly to me. I hadn’t known he was awake.

I made a ‘hmm’ noise and Aisu’s chest rumbled with approval. His Wolfness made him possessive of me, just as I was of him. Mine. I snuggled closer and let out a breathy sigh. “I love you, too.” I murmured drowsily. Aisu rumbled again, this time louder. I was sure it came from past his lips as he tugged me closer. 

“Good.” He growled, the inner predator that was so dominant in Wolves coming out. “You are mine, and I am yours.” I rumbled happily as well. 

“Forever.” I murmured. The door slammed open suddenly, and I groaned at the noise. I cracked my tired eyes open. My ribs ached furiously along my left side. 

“Are you two lovebirds ready to get up yet?” Nerr said, her reptilian eyes assessing us. “...Apparently not. It’s midday. We need to get a move on. Get dressed, eat, and let’s get going.” Nerr stopped as she smirked at my death glare. “Save doing the deed for when we get home, you two.” I growled and threw one of my knives in her direction. She shut the door instantly, laughing as she did so. 

I wanted to stay in bed forever, but even I knew it wouldn’t happen. Sooner or later, we would need to go. My arms stretched and I methodically managed to manipulate most of my muscles before sitting up. Then I looked to Aisu. He was giving me that irresistible, charming, boyish half-smile of his, and his bright blue eyes danced with happiness. I loved watching him when he was happy. 

“Good morning.” Aisu rumbled, brushing that downy hair of his out of his eyes, although it was a lost cause. I returned the greeting with a slightly gentler tone and stood. I pretended not to notice as his gaze lingered on me, flitting up and down as I brushed out my hair and tried to get my own bangs out of my eyes. They had grown too long. 

With a smile, Aisu stood and hugged me from behind as I attempted to rub the black circles that stained the area circling my eyes. They remained there, as permanent as a tattoo on my skin. “Don’t worry about those anymore.” Aisu said. “We should go and eat.” I nodded slowly, opened the door, and intertwined our fingers carefully as we stepped into the kitchen-like area. 

“Finally!” Nerr said with her usual exasperated voice that she’d adopted when it came to me. I rolled my eyes. “We ate most of the good stuff- like bacon and the eggs and stuff. We were going to eat more, ya know, build up our stamina and all, but your damn Wolves saved you both some full plates.” I shot a very, very thankful look in their direction before looking back at Nerr.