Chapter 47: You Can Reach the Unreachable

I was silently fuming. What was Aisu keeping from me? Aisu, who I trusted more than anyone. Aisu, who my life seemed to revolve around more and more. Aisu, who was breaking my heart unknowingly. I felt as if I was going to cry. There was a hollow, empty void where my heart should be, and I could hardly focus on anything. Was this heartbreak? If so, I never wanted to love. I never wanted to put myself out on the line. There was too much out there that could shatter my heart. Besides, once your heart is broken, do you ever find all the little pieces again?

I shook my head and walked into Base, my heart pounding, my palms sweating, and my mood rapidly deteriorating. What I needed was some time along, a little bit of venting, and a few hugs. Yeah, you heard me. Hugs. H-U-G-S. Even scary Sacrifices need them once in a while.

As I stalked down the hallways, glaring at the floor with immense hatred, I bumped into a solid person, and stumbled backward. I glared up the person who stood while I was pushed backward. "Gee, thanks." I said, glaring at Kallen.

"I see you eyesight is getting better." Kallen said, helping me from my half-fallen position against the wall. I frowned.

"Is that some sort of joke?" I hissed. "I can't even see in color in one eye!" Kallen gave me an apologetic, slightly pitying look. "Don't pity me!" I spat. Kallen shook her head, her gold-hazel eyes slightly amused. I growled.

"I only meant that your vision seems to be better. You can see farther, correct?" I nodded, sighing.

"I'm sorry for snapping at you. I'm just so fed up with people these days." Kallen carried on as if she hadn't heard me.

"It's a pity about your eye though. I can't imagine the colors you're missing." I gave Kallen my continue-talking-and-you're-dead glare. Kallen shocked me with a large smile, which for some reason was directed at me. I shook my head. "Let's go for a walk, alright? Tell me all about these people." I rolled my eyes with irritation. Talking was the last thing I wanted to do right now.

"Fine." I said, barely holding back a venomous tone that threatened to spew out. Kallen almost literally dragged me through the halls back the way I had come, and by the time that I had reached the blinding light of the outdoors, I wanted nothing more than to rip her pretty little head off. "Will you stop dragging me?!" I hissed, my anger flowing off of me in waves.

"Hm... how about... no." She said, her voice filled with good humor. Humor, that I, a very pissed off teenage girl, did not share. AT ALL. "So what's bothering you, snowflake?" She asked. I blanched.

"Snowflake?!" I exclaimed, my voice rising several octaves.

"Yes, Snowflake." She said. I opened my mouth several times to tell her off, but couldn't find the heart to do it. "So, are you going to tell me, or are you going to sit there impersonating a guppy?" I promptly shut my mouth.

"It's just..." I said, my gaze drifting to the trees as we passed the grassy area.

"You and Aisu hooked up and now you're pregnant? Kid, learn to use protection!" Kallen exclaimed. I paled, then flushed, then paled again.

"NO! No, no, no that's not it!" I said rapidly. Kallen rolled her eyes, clearly laughing at me in her head.

"Well if you aren't pregnant it's probably not worth worrying about." Kallen said smugly. I snorted.

"Yeah, because you have so much experience in this area?" I said.

"No, because if you were pregnant, I'd have to put up with your mood swings and strange cravings and I don't think Aisu is man enough to do it, " Kallen winked, "... if ya know what I mean..." I flushed, paled, and flushed yet again.