Chapter 60: Fire to Snow, Panther to Wolf

Blaze. Why was my name ringing in my ears? Blaze Blaze Blaze. It took me a moment to gather the courage to open my eyes. Of course, the gray wall of cement stared back at me, as it had done for the past three days. Ever since Snow had gone off to the Capital the idiot Warriors here had kept me under lock and key in this stupid cell. It was infuriating. 

Scorch marks had decorated the wall in a furious pattern that never ceased to irritate me. I fingered one of the smoking holes with a feather-light touch as flames danced along my finger tips. I knew that right now, everyone was at the battle. My lips pressed into a thin line. They’d left me along, the idiot thugs. I sighed. If I hadn’t betrayed Snow’s trust, I would be at the battle right now, flaming my way beside her glacier-like presence. Of course, I’d had to have been an idiot and followed Mother’s orders. God, I hated her. At least she was out of the picture now. But soon enough, she’d come into focus. Maybe I had changed. 

I peered through the bars on the only open side of my cell. Geez, these guys had trusted me. The other cells had heavy, thick metal doors an least two inches thick. The bars I had, although thicker than the doors, were only bars. If I got two or three out, I’d be free to wander. I’d be free to go to the fighting. God knew they needed help. The Rebels were so outnumbered that it wasn’t even funny. 

I studied the bars again. There weren’t very strong-looking. Perhaps I had gotten special treatment for my connection to Snow. Either way, I didn’t care. I had to focus on getting out. Concentrating on my fingers, I waited until white-hot flames sparked to life and pressed the searing hot flames against the weak metal. For a moment, the metal seemed to get colder. I frowned. Heating the metal shouldn’t have made it colder. I persisted with my white flames, until they turned blue with heat. My flames struggled against the cool temperature of the metal, and then surged. 

I could barely control the heat as the metal became white-hot and started to drip around me. I grinned. I was so glad I was impervious to heat, just as Snow seemed to lack the feeling of being cold. I moved onto the next few bars with a more determined resolve as I melted them. I was surrounded by bars missing their middles in a circular shape.My slips quirked into a smile. 

I stepped outside and skirted around the cooling puddle of steel as I got out of the stupid cell I’d been thrown into. I felt a surge of excitement. Now the fun would being. Now, I would have a chance to get to the battlefield. I knew that the Rebels needed my help, whether they knew it or not. They were vastly outnumbered and my former fellow Marked wouldn’t hesitate to kill the Sacrifices, just as I had been. I felt a pang of longing as I remembered them. One of us for every Sacrifice, fed lies upon lies about the boys and girls we were destined to kill. 

I quickly threw the idea of the Marked out of my head. Now wasn’t the time to think about them. I needed to focus. I needed to escape. Snow... where are you? I quickly ended my thinking. It would be rather embarrassing if I’d broadcasted that. 

Hiding with my Pack and Archer. Where are you, Blaze? She replied. Snow’s voice was as cold as the ice she wielded. 

Oops. Well, I’ve recently escaped from the holding cells at Base after melting a bunch of metal. Where are you? I want to help.  I hoped my tone was more fiery than usual, because I wanted to combat her cold with my heat. 

...Are you sure that’s a good idea? There’s Marked all over the place here. It’s crawling with them. How do we know we can trust you? Snow’s had only warmed a degree, but that was something. If I could get Snow convinced that I should be there, then she’d let me go, and she’s most likely help me out. 

I changed, okay? I don’t want to fight you anymore. We’re blood related, Snow! Don’t you remember anything? 

No. I winced instantly at her quick and forceful reply. I can’t remember anything before being a Sacrifice. Don’t try this crap with me, Blaze! You can’t count on my memories and you can’t toy with my emotions. You sold me out! You dragged me back to get killed!