Chapter 29: I Am Who I Am, Not An Impostor!

I looked up to face Nathan, the Enforcer.

What is an Enforcer? Why they enforce the laws of course, but by any means necessary. Nobody can question them. Nobody can oppose them. If you anger them... let's just say you have a short, torturous time ahead of you.

Nathan's glittering green eyes rivaled the brightest emeralds, and his hair was just as dark as Aisu's. Would Nathan recognize me? When I had stayed with the Government, Nathan had been one of the few allowed around me, mainly to keep me in line. He wasn't bad to me, but he wasn't good to me either. He was simply a figure who blended in, yet stood out. I guess he was important to me. Growing up, he'd been the only regular human contact I'd had. Otherwise, I was incommunicado (lol Mrs. P, I used a vocab word!).

Nathan had taught me how to interact with other people. He taught me of the world outside, and how the Government was set up. Once in a while, he'd be extremely nice and do things for me, or he'd be in a bad mood and would snap and lash out at me. Either way, he taught me the upsides and the downsides of staying around human beings as I matured. I'd craved his company and despised it. Nathan had been neither a friend or a foe to me. He'd simply been... Nathan.

Nathan's eyes widened as I met his steady gaze. His mouth opened and closed several times before he stepped forward and helped me up. I gazed over his shoulder to see that Aisu -my Aisu- was being held back by another Enforcer. Nathan looked deep into my eyes, searching. "...Snow?" He asked lowly with a smirk. I snickered.

"Why would I be that Sacrifice? My name is Luna." Nathan rolled his eyes.

"I know it's you." He said. "You have the same eyes."

"Thank you, Captain Obvious!" I hissed, narrowing my eyes and trying to think of a way to avoid this.

"You're welcome, Lieutenant Sarcasm!" He replied, smirking yet again. I forced Nathan back with a soft shove of my hands. I needed the distance between us. My heart was thumping faster than I ever imagined possible and I struggled to calm my breathing. I frowned and calmed myself down, glancing at Aisu yet again.

"I'm not Snow." I said quietly. "We may have the same eyes, but we aren't the same people." Nathan's eyes narrowed as he looked me up and down, before nodding.

"I see. You may look similar, but now I can see that I've gotten you mixed up. My apologies, 'Luna'. Your hair is white, while Snow's is black. I see the difference. Thank you for correcting me." I forced my eyes down, feeling fear. Was Nathan going to be mad? Would he try to punish me? Certainly that would give me away. "You may leave. Next time please follow orders given to you by Enforcers, Luna. It is a necessary for our fragile society to function." I nodded and looked at Aisu.

"W-would you mind letting my friend go, sir? He was helping me with something." I murmured quietly. Nathan eyed me critically. "Please?" He seemed to cave.

"Very well, but just this once am I letting you go. Please be mindful of authority from now on." I nodded rapidly before I grabbed Aisu's hand and hurried away from the alley. Heat rushed up my face but I hustled toward the Rebel base and after a few moments of catching my breath, went inside.

I immidiately began to search for Archer. I had to make sure that nobody had touched him, that he was alright. I was literally running door to door, panting and worrying and gasping as my ribs ached more than anything I'd ever experienced. The Enforcer weapon must've been on high, not the usual low. My eyes widened. THAT was how he realized who I was, or more correctly, WHAT I was. A normal person would've died.

I let out a soft cry of pain as I continued to run, before I ran into the mess hall. I shot the door open and searched hurriedly for Archer. When I couldn't find him, I ran back out and searched elsewhere. Low cries of pain escaped my throat as I continued to run. The wound in my side ached and burned. Panting, I ran faster, my hair streaming behind me.