Chapter 59: Destruction is So Beautiful

My heartbeat roared in my ears. Shinobi is dead. Shinobi is dead. My fault… my fault Shinobi is dead. I couldn’t get my gaze to leave those sightless green eyes. Dead. Dead. Dead. Was the world going to end? I had never truly experienced the death of someone. Torture was a no brainer, but death? An escape, I told myself. Death is an escape. 

Aisu let out a tortured moan of pain as he lay on me, his voice heavy and rough, his body twitching ever so slightly. It tore me out of my daze and right into Protective Pack Overlord Mode. “Aisu?” I whispered, coursing my fingers through his hair. “What’s wrong? Where are you hurt?” 

Aisu whined lowly as I slipped out from under him and gasped. His entire left arm and patches of his back had been burned with a blistering sort of heat, and his right arm was twisted into an impossible position. “Stay still!” I commanded, grabbing my, thankfully, indestructible bag that Nerr had given me. I searched through it frantically until I grabbed a hold of a coarse, heavy scroll. I gestured to Hail as I pulled out the scroll and spread it wide. 

“Will this work, Hail?” I asked, gazing into his hazel eyes. “I can use the scroll. I don’t want to tire you out.” Hail nodded hesitantly. 

“Let me do it.” He said, his voice sounding strained. I shook my head abruptly. 

“No. My mistake, my correction.” I snapped. I bit hard on my thumb until blood welled up and smeared it across the flowing script. I murmured quietly, forcing my energy into the dazed words and directing them strictly toward Aisu and his injuries. My heart wavered when Aisu nearly shrieked with pain. “Sh.” I murmured, stroking his hair. “Almost over.” 

Relief surged over me as Aisu stood and tested his arm out gently. “It’s good.” Aisu said softly at my anxious expression. “It’s healed completely.” I relaxed at gazed sadly at Shinobi’s lifeless corpse. 

“We’ll have to leave him, won’t we?” I asked softly. Aisu nodded. 

“Yes, but we have to go. Now.” I nodded and looked to Aisu. 

“Right. Of course.” I replied. Aisu looked to my pack mates and Archer hesitantly. 

“You guys head out first. We’ll meet you by that empty alleyway we passed by.” The boys left quickly, the pitter-patter of their steps echoing into silence. I looked to Aisu, unsure of why he’d dismissed them while we stood here, at the sight of death and destruction. 

“Why di-“ My question was abruptly cut off as Aisu pressed us closer and kissed me desperately. I froze at first and Aisu pulled away. 

“Relax.” Aisu whispered. “I’m helping you.” I didn’t say anything, but when Aisu pressed his body close to mine, I submitted. It was completely unlike me to allow others to lead, but I did it. My body was alight with need as Aisu continued. Lust sparked greed, and soon my fingers were lost in the wild tangle of his hair. My body was pressed so tightly to his that there was no space between us. 

“This place isn’t safe.” I said as we sucked in air to begin again. “We’ll be caught.” 

“You’re too wound up. We’ll be safe. If you’ll relax a bit, you’ll be able to think more clearly.” It was too bad that Aisu’s good intentions were making my thoughts hazy and heavy with my craving for him. My thoughts swirled downward and settled into my actions. Where was my self-control, now? My pleasure in denying myself what I wanted most? 

“Aisu…” I started, pulling away from him and resting my head against his shoulder. “…we need to go. We aren’t safe here.” Aisu growled lowly, his disappointment mixing with my own. We raced to the door, and I sent a last farewell to Shinobi before we jumped into the hallway and raced away, our footsteps deathly silent. They seemed far too loud to me, although I knew no one else could hear us.