Chapter 22: Let's Find a Hospital, Before Things Get Ugly

• Dedicated to Mrs. Peckham

Hello. This is another misplaced author's note. Why did I misplace it again? Let me answer you. This chapter will be in a different POV than the rest of the chapters. I don't plan on doing this often, but I'm doing it now. It will be Aisu's POV. Funny Fact: Did you know that the 'u' in 'Aisu' is silent? I didn't know until today. This chapter is dedicated to all my fans, present and future. Enjoy :D

*Story Start*

I watched the sunrise, feeling slightly apprehensive. Magnificent colors painted the sky as I listened carefully for anything out of place. Everyone was sleeping except for the rest of the pack, running the perimeter carefully. I sniffed the cold air. 

My gaze flickered to Snow. Her chest rose and fell with her labored breathes, fast, shallow, and faltering. She'd only gotten four hours of sleep so far, and I wanted, more than anything, for her to get a good rest. At least four more hours, but I knew that wasn't going to happen right now.

Snow's hair clung to her face with sweat; her fever had yet to break. I let out a soft whine. I tensed as Kallen woke, her hazel eyes glazed with sleep. She quietly called her Familiar, Kaiden, and stroked his wings, speaking quietly to him.

"How much farther until we reach our destination, Kaiden?" She murmured.

"If you leave now, while the weather is still nice, about nine hours. The weather will change soon." Kaiden replied, giving a shake of his head. Kallen nodded, and Kaiden stretched his wings and took off in search of small animals to hunt. I shifted human and walked over to Kallen silently.

"Kallen... may I call you that?"  I asked quietly.

"Yes." She replied, walking toward Nerr to wake her.

"Kallen, before you wake the others, would you mind answering a question for me?" Kallen froze then turned to face me, and nodded.  Her eyes flashed uncertainly, as if I had broached a tricky topic. "Is there any laws against a Familiar-Human relationship?" Kallen's eyes flashed again.

"Why do you want to know?" She said, a frosty edge to her voice. I smiled wanly.

"If you answer the question, I'll tell you." I said, trying to keep my impatience out of my voice.

"I'm sorry, but I don't know. You'll have to ask someone else." Kallen stated bluntly. Something in her tone whispered that she wasn't sorry at all. I shrugged and shifted into my wolf form. Kallen woke up Nerr, who bolted upward with a violent growl and an inaccurate punch in Kallen's general direction.

I called my wolves with a howl and grinned as they padded to the camp obediently. I woke Snow with a lick to her cheek. One of her gray-green eyes opened sleepily, still half in a dream. "What is it, Aisu?" She murmured, her voice low and rough from sleep.

'It's time to wake up. Climb on my back, we need to get going.' I told her. With the help of a shy Hail, Snow clambered onto my back, her hands rubbing the fur across my shoulders. I gave a slight shiver at the sensation of her fingers running through my thick fur. 

I frowned and thought back to the conversation between Hail and I from last night, carefully keeping my telepathy mind clear.

*flashback starts*

'How long does she have, Hail? Don't lie to me.' I bared my teeth savagely. Hail sighed, his eyes moist.

"At most? A day and a half." He murmured. "Otherwise she could die."

"Why didn't you tell me? Or her?" I growled, trying to restrain myself.

"If she worried, she'd only speed up the process. I didn't tell you, not right away, because I knew that you'd react like this. I didn't want you to do anything rash." Hail spoke calmly, no sense of alarm shown in his eyes. I grabbed Hail's throat, watching as his eyes widened. "I'm sure that it was a mistake not to tell you, but I was merely looking out for the both of you." I sighed.

Feeling a bit remorseful, I pulled my hand away and looked at Snow's tired form. I couldn't let her die... no. She was too much for me to lose.

*flashback ends*

"Aisu." Snow murmured into my ear, "What's wrong, Aisu?" I shivered as she whispered my name.

'Nothing. Eat some breakfast, okay?' Snow nodded, and scratched behind my ear, before pulling out a breakfast food ration.

Snow's POV

I ate the food ration, gagging on the taste of dried fruits and honeyed biscuits. It became harder and harder to swallow as I continued to eat. The only reason I was eating was to keep Hail satisfied that I was still capable of handling myself.

I put the food ration away and leaned forward and snuggled into Aisu's warm fur. The sun seemed to beat down on me relentlessly, and the wind chilled me to the bone. I didn't want to be this sick, this affected by the elements. I closed my eyes, shivering and sweating at the same time. My clothes clung to me, caught in a cold sweat.

"Please..." I groaned. "Why? Why is it so warm and so cold?" I grabbed Aisu's fur tightly in my hands. I looked to Hail. "Please, make it stop!" Aisu stopped moving as Hail ran over to me.  "Please, Hail, don't you have anything?" I said, nearly begging. Hail froze, his eyes glazed.

"I'm so sorry... I don't have anything for this." Hail said, defeated. "The best I can do is put you into a sleep-state until we get there." I nodded rapidly.

"Please..." I whispered. Hail forced his hands to go, and with a regretful smile, knocked me out.

(Eight and a Half Hours Later)

I woke, frozen, and soaked to the bone. "What's..." I began. I promptly lost the will to continue the sentence. I shivered violently, burrowing into Aisu's arms. When had he turned human?

"Shhh... we're almost there." Aisu murmured, his breath tickling my ear. I shivered as he continued to talk to me. What was this feeling? These strange butterflies in my stomach? "Just another minute or so."

I moved closer to Aisu's chest, his heartbeat loud in my ears. I moved even closer, wanting his warmth; Aisu's heartbeat became much faster, his breath hitched. I continued to shiver, the harsh air chilling me. My eyes were shut tightly; I didn't want to see where I was. As long as we were close to warmth and sleep, I'd be happy. 

"Aisu... I'm so cold. Why is it so cold?" I said, forcing my eyes to open. I gazed tiredly at Aisu's crystalline, caring eyes. Aisu smiled kindly. 

"You'll be warm soon, I promise." I closed my eyes again, darkness tugging at me. I felt the air warm, and I heard voices shouting to each other, but they were too quiet for me to hear. I knew something was wrong, but I didn't care. I just wanted to sleep.

Hurried footsteps rushed about me, sending tremors through the earth. Going up, going down, a maze of tunnels. Light blinded me, even with my eyes closed. Something soft beneath me, something warm around me. Something sharp pricked my arm, and I was immidaitely silent, sleeping.

I opened my eyes some time, to find myself in a hospital. I screamed in terror.

_________________

October here! I hoped you all liked this new chapter! Comment/Vote/Fan. Sorry if it's short!

Until Next Time,

October