Chapter 51: I Miss Them

I glowered at the man before me. He was nothing special, just your standard issue thug. He also seemed to lack in the thinking department. Severely. His stupidity was almost comical, except for the fact that he was also trying to beat me black and blue. It didn’t really matter anymore. It had only been a week, and yet my time with the Rebels seemed a lifetime away. The standard issue thug sighed with irritation at my ongoing silence. He packed up his tools, shook his head, and shoved me into the awaiting hands of a bored-looking Warrior, who then led me back to my soundproof cell. As the heavy metal door opened, I allowed him to push me inside and slam the door shut. I sniffed with distain.

With a tired sigh, I sat on the floor. My cell was made of dark stone, with no windows, and only a door. There was a toilet in the far back corner, and a thin mattress and blanket along one of the walls. My cell was ten feet by ten feet, and the roof towered six feet above my five foot six inch body. I made another scratch on the wall to mark my seventh day here. With a soft grunt, I paced.

The Government kept using the same old tricks to try to extract information from me, and they weren’t getting any results. I wondered if they were simply incredibly stupid. Yeah, that was probably it. The Government was stupid. No matter how often they tried to beat the living daylights out of me for information, they didn’t get anything, and they still tried their old tricks. I almost snickered at the thought. Who knew that the Government was poor to adapt?

During my stay here at Hotel Government-Issued Cell, Jecca and Blaze had ‘snuck’ in to talk to me. I truly doubted that they had to sneak into my cell. Jecca was probably some poor soul that the Government had taken of the streets and modified in order to squeeze information from me by using the family card. I laughed at the thought. Shouldn’t Kallen’s supposed sister by in Kallen’s Provence? They wouldn’t ship her off to this sorry place when she could be learning among the elite of the elite.

What about Blaze? Did he sneak in? Now that I thought about it, it didn’t seem so farfetched. Our mother despised both of us. We’d caused enough trouble. A Marked, run off to join his Rebel sister, only to come back as a hero with a Traitor in his arms. Perhaps Blaze’s welcome home was as warm as I’d imagined. Then again, our mother was anything but grateful. She’d never spoken a kind word toward Blaze that I could understand. It seems that we both got the short end of the stick when it came to parents. Our mother was greedy, and now, no better than a five year old brat. Our father was God-knows-where, as spineless as they come. I felt a pang of pity for my dad. He’d married a monster, and traded his soul for a scrap of peace.

I glared at the single light that hung from the roof. It constantly flickered. That annoyed me. To no end. With a sigh, I told myself that there was nothing I could do about it. After all, it was quite a few feet above my raised arms. Even if I jumped up, my fingers wouldn’t brush the white-hot bulb. I sneered. I guess they gave me the worst cell they had to currently offer, huh? The light went out at the same time everyday, signaling to the Government’s prisoners, like me, that it was time to sleep and stop throwing ourselves against the wall in our pit of boredom and misery. I was far from both bored and miserable. I was bored with the system and miserable with the stale air that wafted about. I silently wondered where the air vents were. I probably couldn’t reach them, but it would be interesting to see how the Rebels’ had a better ventilation system than the Government did. Then again, I never witnessed their cells.

I paused my pacing for a moment and frowned. Was there even a way to get out? I’d already tried coating the door with ice, but it hadn’t gone over well. Let’s just say that the cell was as cold as the ice I’d made for the better part of three days. Geez, hadn’t these guys ever heard of central heating? I frowned. Maybe I didn’t need to get out of the cell through the door. With a slight grin, I focused on freezing the water particles in the air until I had something similar to a stepladder leading up to the roof.