Fallin' From the Sky (12)

"Fallin' From the Sky" --  R. Kelly

And now you take me up and away with you

Push me out of the plane with no parachute

And now I'm gonna need somebody to catch me...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

December 31, 1994

Their New Year's Eve concert completed, the members of the band along with their manager headed backstage while the high-spirited audience continued to clap and yell for an encore. Though they had already received one, they wanted another. None of the band members could explain how terrific that made them feel. They were wanted and that was such an awesome high.

Bursting into the large dressing room, J.T. sprawled in the middle of the couch placed against the wall with a huge grin plastered on his boyish face. His band mates Pirate and Diego followed, each taking a seat on either side of him while Jaden and Lucky occupied the other couch, which was separated from the guys by a coffee table.

"That was so fucking awesome!" J.T. bellowed, pushing hair out of his eyes for the hundredth time that evening. He needed a haircut. He always seemed to be in need of a haircut. Reaching into the pocket of his tight jeans, he pulled out a pair of flimsy red underwear, dangling them for his friends to see. "Some chick threw these at me!" He laughed. "I've seen it on t.v., but I've never had it happen to me. Too bad she didn't throw me her phone number or write it in the crotch."

Looking disgusted, Pirate pushed J.T.'s waving arm away from him. "Man, don't put that thing near me. That's gross."

"No way. It's sexy as hell," the twenty-five year old objected while he put the panties back in his pocket.

"Since when was hell considered sexy?" Lucky inquired with a slight smile.

All eyes looked toward the door after there was a knock. Greeting them all, the owner of the club walked into the dressing room with a silver tray in his hand and a broad smile on his face. Thanks to the people in this room, he had received a lot of business tonight. He would be sure to book them for future gigs because if they kept weaving the magic they had tonight, they would surely make it big in the music industry.

"I just have to tell you guys again how great you were," the owner gushed. "The audience has never gotten that enthusiastic over a band. I do hope you'll come back. Here's a little thank you from me." Grinning, the owner placed the tray in the middle of the coffee table. Staring at the contents of that tray, J.T. was the main person salivating over them.

There were ten evenly spaced lines of a white crystalline powder and five small white tubes, which was now the only equipment needed to use the powder. "For myself, I use some of the best out there and I've chosen to share it with you guys. Check this out--it's 75% pure," he smiled, obviously pleased with himself for finding a dealer who didn't skimp much on the product. After being thanked and telling them to enjoy, he left the room.

Before the door was fully closed, J.T.'s hand was headed for one of the tubes. His fingers had barely grazed one before the tray was pulled out of his reach. Frowning at the band manager, he placed his hand back on his knee. "What gives, Lucky? It ain't yours. It belongs to everybody here," he argued, wanting to yank the tray from her hands, but not possessing the boldness to try.

"Act like a gentleman for once in your life and let the ladies go first." She shook her head in disappointment. "Damn, your mother didn't teach you any better?" The tray on her lap, Lucky turned to her girlfriend of two months. "Baby, you wanna go first? I know you've never done this before, but hey it's New Year's Eve." Lucky grinned in spite of the younger woman's anxious expression. "Time for a celebration. You'll love it."