Compass or Map (36)

"Compass or Map" -- Robin Thicke

Oh, now you done it

You woke up some stuff

We gon' have to talk about it

Round here things might get rough

You poked a sleeping giant

That ain't ate in months...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Eat all of it or you're totally grounded after the ride," the young woman half joked, earning a deep growl from the person seated on the other side of the bench. "Though you sound like a grizzly bear, you don't frighten me. Now eat up."

"I'm full," Sharon muttered around the bit of toasted bread in her mouth. She had only eaten a fourth of the slice of toast smeared with strawberry jam, but she didn't want any more. How was she supposed to eat when her stomach was tied in several double fisherman's knots? Her thoughts focused on the S.S. Ride, the nurse might have slept a total of an hour during the night. She craved real coffee yet hadn't touched any.

"How do you expect to have any energy if you refuse to eat a decent breakfast?" So far, Nina had only managed to make her sister eat a banana and drink a glass of orange juice. That wasn't acceptable.

Sharon shrugged, suddenly looking like a petulant ten-year-old child rather than a thirty-year-old adult. "I'll survive."

"Until one of the pick-up vans has to drag your fragile body inside and drive you to camp, because you're too exhausted to pedal any further." She pointed toward the toast Sharon was holding. "Eat that. It's an order not a request, Ronnie."

"I'm only doing this because I love you." While Nina grinned, she frowned as she obeyed her little sister's order. Within two minutes, the entire slice of toast was traveling toward her tummy.

"If I hadn't just witnessed it with my own eyes, I wouldn't have believed it was possible!"

Sharon repeated her grizzly bear interpretation as she glowered up at her unfortunate tent mate. How she found her with well over a thousand people around, the nurse would never know. "What? What are you jabbering about?"

"Good morning to you as well, sunshine." Sierra rolled her eyes. She glanced in Nina's direction with a friendly smile, before briefly returning her attention to the nurse. Although the two didn't favor each other, Sierra picked up a strong family vibe from them. Perhaps they were sisters? "Hello. Since she's inclined not to introduce me, I'm Sierra Torres, Sharon's tent mate. Nice to meet you..."

"Nina." She pressed her hand to Sierra's for a warm handshake. "Nina McDaniel and it's nice to meet you too, Sierra," her voice was soft with a tinge of shyness leaking through. However, there was nothing shy about the backhanded slap deposited on her sister's arm because of her insolence. A faint groan was the other woman's only comment. "Have you known Ronnie long?"

"Not long. Two weeks ago we almost ran into each--or should I say she almost ran into me? That's when we met. Didn't we, Grumpy?" Surveying Sharon's frown, she winked.

"Yep." The nurse sluggishly nodded. "Dislike at first sight."

"Ronnie!" Based on her expression, Nina was prepared to lecture her.

Sharon's eyes remained fixed on her tent mate. "I won't lie." She was thrown off balance by the woman's smile. Damn her for being so freaking levelheaded. "What is it that you want, Torres? I didn't expect to see you --have to deal with you-- until tonight. Why are you here?"