Exhale (Shoop Shoop) (7)

"Exhale (Shoop Shoop)" -- Robin Thicke

Summer of 1999

Finished reading the back cover of the latest CD Vanessa had purchased earlier, Georgie looked at her friend who was sprawled across her bed reading a magazine. Evidently the article she read must have been enthralling since Georgie had to call her three times before she answered.

"I'm going to tell them. Today."

Vanessa raised a brow. "Tell what to who?"

"Mom and Dad," she paused, looking nervous. "About me." When her best friend continued to look confused, she added, "You know. What I confided in you two years ago."

Losing interest in the magazine, Vanessa shoved it to the side and sat up on her bed. "Today?"

"Today." She glanced toward Vanessa's alarm clock. "Like now. I'm going over there now. They should both be home." Georgie started to rise when the other teenager slid on the carpet next to her.

"What changed your mind? I thought that you didn't want to tell them until you were like thirty."

"I don't want to hold this in any longer. Every time Mom brings up my someday meeting a nice man who I'll have babies with, I cringe inside. I mean I want babies, but not with a man. No offense to guys, I think they're cool--"

"Some of them," Vanessa interjected, thinking of her last boyfriend. Their relationship had lasted two weeks before he decided that he rather go out with that bimbo head cheerleader.

The blonde had to smile. "Yeah, some. But I don't want one you know...that way. And it's time that I stop being a coward and just come out with it." An arm wrapped around her shoulders.

"I'm proud of you, Georgie. We'll take my car."

"Van, I'm so grateful for your support, but I have to do this on my own."

"Are you sure? I could at least drive you over and wait in the car."

"Nah, you don't have air conditioning, so it's too hot to wait out in your car and I have no idea how long I'll be. After we're done talking, I'll come back here and let you know how it went."

She hardly ate any of dinner because her stomach was all twisted in knots for her friend. Nora, her mother had asked what was wrong but Vanessa didn't want to reveal the true reason she couldn't eat until Georgie was ready to let others know. It had been over an hour since Georgie left. Vanessa was planted on the couch, peeking out of the window looking out to the front yard. From this point, she would able to see the exact moment her friend pulled up.

Two minutes later, the used red Toyota stopped next to the curb. Bolting from the house, the curly-haired brunette nearly tripped on the stairs in her haste to get to Georgie. The moment she arrived at the car, she could tell that something was very wrong. Much like a statue, Georgie remained behind the wheel staring straight ahead through puffy and reddened eyes.

Her heart breaking, Vanessa opened the door and unfastened her friend's seatbelt without a word. Blinking, Georgie turned to her but kept her mouth shut as well. With the brunette's help, she exited the car and they headed into the Martin household. Heading up the stairs, the only person they saw was Vanessa's twelve-year-old brother Todd, who sent them both curious looks.

Pointing toward the blonde, he asked, "What's wrong with Georgie?"

Opening her bedroom door, Vanessa ushered the teen inside. "She'll be okay. She's just not feeling too well right now."