Chapter 9 - Horcruxes & Eavesdropping

A week had passed since my conversation with Professor Beery, which meant Riddle would start tutoring me today. I had not spoken to him at all last week so I was saddened that the lack of interaction would soon come to an end.

Enticed by the book in my possession, I read the small ink letters as I dragged myself to Potions class with Professor Slughorn. I liked Slughorn, I just felt he had a tendency to overshare. What I mean by this is simple, students are not meant to know everything. Even the brightest of students are still nothing more than a child, but Slughorn considered the spreading of powerful information his way of showing off the knowledge he possessed. Do not get me wrong, as a Ravenclaw I have tremendous difficulty accepting the sad fact that no matter how much learning or exploring I do I will never truly know it all; but I know I do not need to receive all information before a certain time or all from the same source. There is a definite beauty in reading different books, having conversations with different people, and simply exploring the alternatives when learning something beyond your preconceived notions; yet this need for him to show off only set us back in that aspect and it was greatly used to Riddle's advantage because Slughorn would answer only his questions for the entirety of the class.

I was about to open the door to the class when I felt a light tap on my shoulder, and speak of the devil, it was Riddle.

"Apparently I, the great Tom Riddle, have to stoop as low as to do charity work for a certain Ravenclaw that cannot pass Herbology. I will see you at six sharp at the library, do not be late.", he said dragging every word.

I rolled my eyes, nodded, pushed him aside and made my to my assigned seat.

Slughorn started his dull lecture, but as usual, Riddle started asking rapid fire questions to distract him from the unit's genuine content. Easily half the class went by and Riddle was still trying to get information out of Slughorn. He was asking extremely advanced questions, even about subjects we were meant to learn during the last months. I was not surprised, but I was intrigued. Riddle wanted to get Slughorn to say something specific, he was searching for detailed answers to one question he dared not ask.

I continued taking notes on anything that was not directed only at Riddle and in a matter of minutes the bell rung. I saw Riddle stand up and walk towards Slughorn. I needed to know what they were going to discuss because this could give him a major advantage in the class. I waited until nearly everyone left, slowly rose from my seat, and hid behind the long door. Riddle and Slughorn were deep in conversation when a word I had never heard of drew me in.

"Professor, could you tell me what a horcrux does?", said Riddle.

A horcrux? In my seventeen years, I had never heard the word horcrux being mentioned at Hogwarts. Riddle knew something that I did not, which was not good. I pressed my ear against the door waiting for Slughorn's response.

"Tom, where did you hear about such a thing?", Slughorn replied.

"Only during some reading Professor, the topic was rather interesting and you always seem to know everything.", Riddle further stated.

He was being so manipulative, but Slughorn's ego could not see past that.

He answered, "Well young man, a horcrux is nothing more than a soul container. A wizard separates pieces of their soul in order to gain immortality and that fragment of their soul would remain hidden. But this is very dark magic we are discussing, let's keep what I just said between us. And please, do not get any ideas, this is very bad stuff."

I nearly gasped, how could he tell Riddle about something a student should not be meddling with in the first place and then tell him it is dark magic? Although my interest was piqued, yet some subjects are best not to be discussed with students like Riddle. To be honest, I enjoyed Professor Slughorn's honesty and his upfront and unorthodox style of teaching, but some things are better left unsaid. I could not hear the rest of their conversation because of the dramatic lowering of voices when dark magic was mentioned.

All of a sudden, I hear footsteps. I step away from the door, run a few feet away from the premises and head to my next class. I was left to contemplate on all of my racing thoughts. Riddle, dark magic, horcrux, secrets, etc. This boy was up to something and I was determined to find out what that is.