Chapter 7 - Mishaps & Solutions

The rest of my day was quite uneventful, mainly because Riddle was not in any of my other classes or chose to sit far away from me, which I was thankful for. But that might change, since it was now time for Herbology. I do not understand why I could not manage such an easy subject, but it was too useless for me to want to understand it.

I made my way to the classroom while praying no mishap would occur on my first day. I saw some second-years running around and I scolded them lightly, after all, I was still Head Girl and I needed to keep everyone and everything in order.

I arrived to the class early, as per usual, put on my dragon-hide gloves and waited for the professor's instructions. Rumor has it that today we would be dealing with Venomous Tentaculas, which I was not looking forward to.

I was assigned to partner with Septimus Weasley, a fiery-haired Gryffindor pureblood who was now designated as a "blood traitor" because he sympathized with Muggles and Muggleborns, but if that is what it takes to be a blood traitor then I guess I am one too. It is to my understanding that no one has labeled me as such because I simply do not talk to many people, regardless of their blood status. I am as talkative as they come, but not everyone is worth my time.

Septimus said a quick hello, I smiled at him and we got to work. I liked him as my partner because although he was extremely extroverted, we always worked in a comfortable silence which was necessary for me to focus on a class such as Herbology.

Halfway through our work, Septimus said we needed more supplies and went to ask Professor Beery while I remained near the plant. Accidentally, I pulled the roots of the Venomous Tentacula and before it could have any sort of negative effect on me, it was stunned with the Severing Charm.

I was too scared to move, but my savior was revealed when Septimus and Professor Beery ran towards me crying out thank yous at Riddle. As soon as I heard his name, I turned around and saw that he indeed was the only person behind me and still had his wand slightly raised. From anyone else's point of view, Riddle's actions today could be considered the bare minimum, but if we were to look at it from his standards this was being an angel.

I am extremely curious as to why there has been such a change in behavior at such a rapid pace from someone like him. There is obviously only hatred for the other, but there is something different about him this year.

I had no choice but to thank him this time considering I could have nearly died. I walked a few steps and whispered a small thank you and nodded in his direction to which he nodded back and put his wand away.

Quickly, everyone got back to work and I apologized to Septimus for ruining our work. He simply laughed, said he did not mind doing less work than necessary and that my near death experience in one of the easiest classes was amusing to him. Obviously, I slightly pushed him and pretended to be mad, but ended up laughing along with him.

Once the class was over, I made my way towards Professor Beery to apologize for the mishap. The embarrassment that I felt for causing havoc in a class that first-years can easily manage was too much for me to process. But Beery had always been kind and sympathized with me.

He said, "It is quite alright child, I know this class is not your forte but this sort of situation could happen to anyone. I might assign you to a tutor because I do want you to make it out of Hogwarts intact."

I was surprised. I knew I was bad, but a tutor? Did I really need a tutor in my seventh-year? I was not going to fight him, I just nodded and told him that whenever he found the tutor to let me know. Then, I ran out the door and finished out the day.