Chapter 40 - Inquiries & Declarations of Love

A few hours after my encounter with Headmaster Dumbledore, I knew I could not wait for all the answers to fall from the sky. My aunt and I never had the best relationship, but she was the only one who could provide the missing pieces to the puzzle that was my family, my identity and what I ought to do. I decided to write her a letter, which I knew she would see quickly because it would be sent before the usual time I'd send my monthly letters.

Dear Aunt,

I do not know if you have been informed, but I spent some time in the hospital during the past month. Now, I am good as new, but this is not the reason why I am writing to you. Professor Dumbledore has provided some interesting information concerning our family, but I must hear what you have to say. I have questions and I need answers, no games. Do you hate me? Does our family actually hate the muggle born and supposed "blood traitors"? Is all your work truly for the ministry, or is there something you have not told me? I must know about my parents, more than what you have said. Time and age have made me wiser, even if I still have much more to discover. You cannot avoid my inquiries and I hope you answer only with truth. Please understand that I only want to know myself. I know I must be the black sheep of the family in your eyes, but I'm still part of said family. Lastly, you must know about a secret I've kept from you. I have fallen in love, deeply. I know my feelings are reciprocated, but apparently love is not always as easy as I was once led to believe. It would be a lie to say you and I have a wonderful relationship, but on this matter I must consult you as well. I do not want to end up like my mother; this should be enough commentary to make you understand what has been revealed to me and what I wish to learn from you. Hoping to hear from you very soon.

Sincerely,
Athena Alastair

Unlike the other letters, this was not concise and the content held actual emotion; I hope she would be able to sense this. My inquiries were not in vain, only she would be able to lead me in the direction I needed to be guided towards. She was never my favorite person, for a while I hated her even, but if what has been revealed to me is true I do not know who she actually is. I summoned Blair, who had missed me greatly when I was in poor condition, and gave her the letter. She flew away towards her usual destination, making the room empty and lonely once again.

More hours of solitude have passed and I have realized that only one person could help me uncover a few more truths if my aunt wished not to. Inconveniently, that person was Tom Riddle. He was the smartest and sneakiest person in all of Hogwarts, plus, I trusted him. I would always trust him. To this day, it is surreal how I went from despising his mere existence to needing it to feel complete. But the reasons are obvious, he is my person. You have to trust your person, so I trust him.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Exiting my room after an eternity enclosed in the space, I made my way towards the common room knowing I would find the Head Boy I was looking for. In a moment, I stood behind his tall frame and made my presence known.

"Tom, could I talk to you?"

Tom turned towards me and said softly, "Athena, hey. Of course, talk to me."

His gaze of admiration that made my heart flutter still remained, but there was a kinder and lighter aura in his stare and in his words.

"I know that we have tension between us as of right now and conversations left undone, but I need your help with something important.", I hesitantly said.

"Anything you need or want, ask for it and I shall give it to you.", Tom responds immediately as takes a step forward in a mixture of intrigue and desire to hear my next words and to be near me.

"As you know, my family is obviously not what it seems.", I spoke trying to formulate my thoughts in the most understandable manner. "I have learned some more information on them, my mother's side specifically. I have sought out my aunt for some answers, but, as you also know, my relationship with her is not a good indicative of getting any real answers. So, I need you to help me search for information if she were to be useless. Is that alright with you?"

"That's alright with me, I will do anything you ask. You've made it abundantly clear that there is more to life than one's self.", he replied carefully place his hand on my cheek. "Therefore, I will help you to learn about your family in any way that I can if you were to need it."

We were dangerous close, his hand still on my cheek. I could only feel a lump forming in my throat and nervous butterflies fly around my stomach. Once again, frozen under his spell.

"I respect your choices and I greatly admire your thoughts and your being. I only wish to say this, as a reminder, and because you deserve to hear me say these words to you."

"Tom, please don't make this harder than it needs to be.", I whispered lowering my head so my eyes could not meet his.

"Dammit just let me tell you that I love you! Athena Alastair, I love you most ardently and maybe even too much.", he hastily confessed

Three words, eight letters. Those words forever ingrained in my mind and heart. But I needed actions, his words were a mere distraction.

"I know.", I stammered now trying to step away from our closeness.

I took his hand away from my face and sighed. Afraid of doing so, I looked into his eyes. His beautiful eyes. Mesmerizing. Enthralling. All consuming. His green eyes trapped me, there was no escape.

"I have changed, for you and because of you.", Tom adds to his confession.

"Then show me."