Chapter 33 - More Family Secrets & Execution

Finding myself alone in the Room of Requirement, I tried to focus on more book reading, but all I could think about was how many turns my life had taken in the span of months. The acquaintances, friendships, and relationship I had opened myself to were unimaginable before this year.

Proven to have an impact on me, I took Tom back. I could not stay away from him anymore, even if I wanted to. He was a magnet, I was attracted to him and I could not pull away. I do not know how else to describe it, but the weeks I spent without him were spent in misery. I missed his know-it-all sarcastic remarks, his tender and reassuring kisses, the way he looked at me in awe whenever I was not looking, how he would send threatening glares to everyone that dared look in my direction, how he would read my favorite books, and how he made me forget all of my stresses despite him, ironically, being my major worry.

I missed everything about
him, I was hooked.

It has been two weeks since I made the questionable decision to resume our romance, but I was happy. I had noticed Tom was acting more careful around me and seeked my approval, yet everything else remained the same.

Another person who benefited from our reunion was Abraxas; he was relieved to not have to deal with Riddle's planning and pleas during school days. He simply wanted some stability to make a return into our lives, so did I.

Tom had kept his promise, he had stopped his plotting for the time being. We just started rereading books and used the Room of Requirement as a secluded area to spend time together more than anything else.

As I fell deeper, I eagerly waited for the day he would tell me that he would depart from his immoral path. His promise and what course of action he contemplated on taking was looming over us, but my thoughts were discarded when I saw my last name mentioned again in my reading.

I was shocked, mainly because this was a different book than the last. What laid in my hand was a manuscript which seemed more personal and I knew it was not meant for collective eyes. The soft-covered pages of parchment in my hands depicted a narration of a man by the name of 'Nikolaos Alastair' and his dabbling with dark magic, from what I thought was his own point of view.

This man whom I never knew was my father. My aunt would not tell me anything about my parents, except their names and her lies concerning their death. My father was a very high esteemed man in the wizarding world, but obviously he hid many secrets. The content of the small book could be the same as one of a diary. I had to read more if I wanted to understand why my father had committed such demented acts.

A horcrux, a magical object where I can hide my soul. I will need to kill someone to create a horcrux, but that will not be too difficult. It is the perfect plan for immortality. Immortality is a necessity if I want to eliminate these disgusting mudbloods that have infiltrated the wizarding world. How could someone so unworthy hold the same powers as someone like me? It is preposterous and I will bring an end to this. The Alastair empire shall rise and make itself known as the most powerful wizard household once more. Descending from noble English families with extreme potential, leading back to the great Merlin himself, we must make sure we do not associate ourselves with the dirt that is diminishing our resources and presence. I must do my part in purifying and restoring the balance...

-N. Alastair

I was distraught and bewildered by what I read. My father had, not only a prejudiced mindset, but exactly the same sinister spirit that had possessed Tom. He dared mention Merlin, but the great wizard would never condone such actions.

Disheartened by the truth of what kind of man my father truly was, I shut the book. For the entirety of my life, I had envisioned my father as a kind man who left this Earth too soon. Sadly, I was mistaken and completely deceived by my little girl dreams.

Now, I could only think about what else I could do before Tom ended up dead or, even worse, in Azkaban. Whenever he held himself from providing rude commentary or hinting towards his twisted vision simply because I wanted him to, the promise he made, and the hesitation that had formed within him recently all proved that I was not deranged for wanting to believe there was good trapped in a small corner of his detached heart.

I had tried everything to bring forth that righteousness, but he was impregnable in his objectives. I wanted more than for him to leave behind a despicable and shameful legacy, similar to that of my father. I wanted him to come running into the Room of Requirement, confess his wrong doings, return the books to their place and never whisper anything related to blood or magical status. I envisioned him giving up on his diabolical ambitions, instead becoming an official in the Ministry of Magic, a Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher or whatever he wanted, and live with me forever in a small cozy home filled with orchids and books.

Hoping for a life together with a 'normal' Tom Riddle was an idea based on wishes one made upon a star half while half asleep, but I would continue fighting for him until my last breath.

I knew Tom was close to executing a plan quite similar to this one before he made his promise to pause his machinations, but this promise most probably had an expiration date.