Chapter 3 - Last First Day at Hogwarts & The Eventful Sorting

After my run in with Riddle, I made sure to steer clear of him or any Slytherin until I arrived at Hogwarts. It is not because I have any particular problem with the Slytherins, I actually believe my house and theirs are quite similar and that many Slytherins are extremely misunderstood, but everyone knows that more than half the Slytherin house currently idolizes Riddle and submits to his every word; meaning that they were merely puppets for Riddle to use whenever he pleased, especially if outside Hogwarts.

A day had passed since my encounter with the soon to be named Head Boy and I was now at Hogwarts. I noticed all the eager and overly excited first years preparing for the Sorting Ceremony as I made my way through the Great Hall towards the Ravenclaw section of the room.

The Great Hall, similar to when I was sorted just a few years ago, was filled with opulent decorations in celebration of the start of term. The large room was lit by thousands of burning candles that were floating in midair where the students were sitting and the roof enchanted with the glistening night sky. There were four long tables, one for each Hogwarts house, and these were laid with glittering golden plates and goblets. Teachers sat at another long wooden table, known as the High Table, at the front of this grandiose space, staring at the potential futures of the wizarding world.

I remember when I got sorted since it was quite an eventful night. Professor McGonagall, whom I have grown to respect and admire greatly over the years, gave the brief explanation of what the Sorting Ceremony encompassed and what each house represented in its essence. Then, she started calling first years and it seemed as if the sorting hat did not need to overthink any of its decisions, that is until it was my turn.

I remember being called and I was feeling quite nervous. It was only reasonable to feel nervous for what was the most important event for a first year Hogwarts student.

The sorting hat was placed on the top of my small head and it loudly exclaimed, "Another Alastair has come to Hogwarts!" and I instantly rolled my eyes. Wasn't that obvious and was there a need to make such a deal out of my surname?

The hat let out a chuckle and continued its rambling, "Ah yes, incredibly cunning, stubborn and ambitious, I sense a lot of Slytherin in you similar to every Alastair that has made its way through Hogwarts."

I really needed to laugh at that one, the hat was now just stating the obvious for absolutely no reason besides trying to sound as if it knew everything about me.

But then what it said next was not as obvious, "But of course, you are not truly like the rest of the great Alastair household. There is lots of wit, wisdom, creativity, rational thinking and a deep desire to be your own person brewing within you, could very well fit in Ravenclaw... Wait... I see you are deeply altruistic and have a very righteous moral compass. Oh Merlin's beard, we have a tremendously brave soul in our hands as well! Are you sure you are an Alastair?"

I huffed and said, "If I weren't you probably wouldn't have mentioned it so loudly, don't you think?"

The hat with an apparent sense of humor deeply chuckled and thoughtfully said, "Ah yes, you surely have the Alastair aura and contemptuous attitude. But what shall it be? You would make an amazing asset to any of the houses, one of a kind truly. Maybe I could sort you in more than one... let me think..."

The statement received a loud gasp from everyone in the room and uncomfortable questioning stares made their way towards my child self. In the moment, I truly did not understand why that statement provided such a reaction, but apparently no one had ever been sorted into more than one house or had given the hat so much troubles. I guess I was truly the black sheep of the family, or what was left of it.

Then, after an awkward eternal pause, the hat finally came to a decision, "I expect great things from you, it shall be... RAVENCLAW!"

To this I felt a sense of pride, knowing that I was sorted into a house different from that of my ancestors and a house that was known for qualities I greatly admired. But I also still question the sorting hat's abilities and if it truly would have been so bad to have been sorted in multiple houses. I guess that is something I will never know.

Snapping myself out of the nostalgic thoughts that made themselves prevalent in my mind, I noticed that the sorting ceremony was coming to an end. This only meant one thing, I was about to be announced as Head Girl along with the one person I had made it a mission to avoid.

They did not tell us which students were going to be chosen to fulfill such an important role, but everyone knew I would be chosen. Sure, that may sound conceited on my part, but I had done an excellent job as a Ravenclaw Prefect and I was the most liked and respected amongst younger students meaning that it was only logical to choose someone such as myself.

Of course, I am not completely blinded by my desire to gain the prestigious title. I know that the possibility of someone else being chosen is present, but it is not a high possibility.

Headmaster Dumbledore made his way to the front of the audience and gave a long speech, as he usually did, about the rules, expectations and changes in concerns to the year ahead prior to calling the respective people in charge of certain roles within the student body.

"When I call your name, please join me. From Ravenclaw, Miss Athena Alastair, our new Head Girl whom I guarantee will do great things."

Once I made my way to him, I shook his hand firmly and smiled towards the audience of first to seventh years clapping and whistling. I tuned out everything for the rest of his speech because I already knew everything he would say after summoning me. I made myself look as confident and calm as possible, I needed the faith and respect of my fellow peers if I was going to succeed in my task as Head Girl. Of course, I was well-known as a Prefect, but this new position holds more weight and grants me more power; power that I do not intend on abusing.

Then, Dumbledore called on the Slytherin poster child, who walked with ease and intimidated anyone that was at least six feet from his presence. I could not deny he carried himself greatly and he was quite the looker, but I was going to snap him out of his superiority complex even if it was the last thing I'd do.

He stood next to me, leaned down towards my ear and whispered, "Get ready Alastair, I will end your reign at this pathetic school and I will be sure to wipe that stupid smirk off your face permanently even if it is the last thing I do."

Not to my surprise, he and I had very similar missions, end each other. Instead of reacting angrily in front of a crowd, I only met his eyes and gave him a bright smile. I would deal with him when the time was appropriate. He chuckled slightly and turned away from me and faced the crowd once again.

Everyone was still clapping loudly, I appreciated it, but it seemed as if the clapping was intended for me to go deaf from how ear-splitting it truly was. After what felt like a thousand years, Dumbledore told everyone to settle down and quickly dismissed us to our dorms.