Chapter 25 - Yule Ball & Confessions

Tom had agreed to spend the holidays at Hogwarts, with me. He seemed confused by the simple proposition I had made, but he quickly agreed to it.

Now, it was the day before the Yule Ball and I was stressing because I had yet to receive my dress. I could not possibly attend with any of the clothes I had taken with me to school meaning that if I didn't get a dress before tonight, I would have to stay in the dormitories the night of the dance. My anxiety was beginning to grow, but I acted as if everything was fine and headed to Charms class.

Charms class was very simple, mainly because it was given by Professor Flitwick; who heavily favored Ravenclaws like himself. He was not obvious or intentional in his partiality, unlike Professor Snape. He gave everyone a fair shot and made the learning environment very open to discussion and growth, but there was always a hint of preference towards those of his own house. Also, when it was clear that students were not focused he would give us easy theory work and let us talk amongst ourselves.

Dragging myself to my seat, I could only think about my missing dress and the possibilities of that ruining the forthcoming evening. While I stared off into space, other students were loudly chatting about the ball dates, attire and typical school gossip. Seeing that the excitement would distract the entire class until further notice, the Professor announced that once we completed a small theoretical task about the 'cleaning charm' we could have the rest of the class period to ourselves.

I mentally thanked him, I knew I would not have been able to focus on a discussion class today. I do not know why I am making such a big deal over a dress, but it was still a tremendous inconvenience. Why be rich and influential if you are still going to have muggle-like daily mishaps? Sometimes, I thought I was cursed but I always reprimanded that thought because I knew others had it much worse than I ever could.

Once the class ended, we were dismissed for the rest of the day. We would not be having anymore classes, despite the normal schedule stating otherwise. They always gave us a day and a half to make the necessary preparations, mainly because there was always that student that did not have their attire until hours before the event took place. Hopefully, that would not be the case for me. Also, because similar to the behavior exhibited in Charms class, none of the students could focus on any other task until the ball passed.

I had made it back to my chamber, without having seen Malfoy, Avery or Riddle. It was quite strange that I had not seen any of them throughout the day. Avery is not my friend nor is he a good student and Abraxas skips classes or sits in the back corner because he thinks he already knows it all, so they were not missed. But Riddle's absence was noticeable, even so that Snape asked me earlier today if I knew of his whereabouts. Riddle would never skip a class, he was a Head Boy and we were still in competition for top of the class. He was simply not the type to ditch, he was studious and ambitious meaning that it was in his nature to assist and carry each class.

Locking the door to my room, I turn around and was about to throw myself on my bed when I saw what I had been waiting for all day.

A beautiful aegean blue gown with delicate small stars and blinding sparkles randomly scattered throughout its tulle material neatly placed on top of my sheets. I almost squealed, I was beyond excited. I knew this was the best dress my aunt could have chosen for me, I had to write a thank you letter after the ball. Reaching out to place the dress on my body, I noticed a note placed next to it.

Your aunt's dress was delivered here three days ago, I did not like it. I bought you this one today, of course it meant selling the other god-awful dress. You would not have liked the other one either, this one will bring out your eyes. I will see you tomorrow.

-TR

I reread the note, making sure that I was not hallucinating. The cute and short note was signed by none other than Riddle. This must have been the reason why I had not seen him anywhere today.