26: the patronus

The days that followed became plainer and duller bringing with it some horrible news in the Daily Prophet when Kate sat down for breakfast

The days that followed became plainer and duller bringing with it some horrible news in the Daily Prophet when Kate sat down for breakfast. She had her own copy delivered to her on a daily basis checking for any news and this time it had brought big news about a mass breakout from Azkaban. Her eyes squinted from Bellatrix Lestrange's picture to the headline that read:

      Mass Breakout from Azkaban
      Ministry Fears Black Is
     'Rallying Point' For Old Death
                         Eaters

"BLACK?" Kate said loudly from the Slytherin table then got up and walked over to the Gryffindor table.
"Those blood sucking gits are blaming this on—" she bellowed but was interrupted by Hermione's hissing.
"Shh, Kate, lower your voice!" Hermione whisper-yelled, clutching her own copy.
"But this is mad!" Kate said in a low, aggressive voice.

The days went on silently after that, Kate would not stop glaring at Umbridge, her hatred for the old hag was sky rocketing and kept cursing her under her breath during all her Defence Against the Dark Arts lessons but despite all that, she was very keen to see people improving in the DA meetings as they practiced the Shield and Protective Charms.

It was on Monday morning that there were owls soaring down the Gryffindor table and Kate unable to contain her curiosity marched off to their table. She along with Fred, Ron and Hermione helped herself to opening the dozens of letters that had just arrived.

"Oooooh, this looks good" Kate said enthusiastically as she opened a few letters and read that they believed Harry's story about Voldemort's return.
"What is going on here?" said a falsely sweet, girly voice and they growled as they recognised who it belonged to.
"Why have you got all these letters, Mr Potter?" Umbridge said.
"Is that a crime now?" Fred said loudly, "getting mail?"
"Be careful, Mr Weasley, or I shall have put you in detention"
"Yeah, over my dead body!" Kate said loudly and watched Umbridge's toad like eyes narrow at her.
"You! Thirty points from Slytherin and another week's detention. Perhaps, you need a new message" said Umbridge sweetly then registered to Harry. 
The rest of the week was no better, the words were scarred on the back of Kate's hand permanently and her hand bled uncontrollably. It was that night that she fell into an uneasy sleep and an even uneasier dream. 

"Make it stop! Make it stop! Don't hurt him, PLEASE!"

"KATE!" someone shouted shaking her shoulder violently.
"Kate, wake up!" she heard Arabella's panicked voice and opened her eyes.
"Are you okay?" Leticia asked anxiously while holding her hand, Kate sat up straight and looked around the dormitory.
"Fred and George" she murmured and got up from her bed, sprinted out of the dungeons all the way to Gryffindor Tower. Sweating, panting, frightened and worried; she told the Fat Lady the password and entered the empty common room breathing heavily.

"Kate?" George's voice came from the top who was followed by Fred coming down the boys' dormitory, without another word Kate flung her arms around George's neck.
"Oh, George, oh" she breathed.
"Kate, are you all right?" George asked bewilderedly and Kate then hugged Fred who looked just as bemused.
"I just - I don't know -  I'm so glad you're both okay" she said flusteredly as Fred and George beckoned her to sit down and she told them what happened.
"We're here, okay? We're fine" Fred said assuringly, comforting Kate while George handed her a glass of water which she downed in one gulp.
"You can stay with me, it's still a bit early and you need to sleep" George said and led Kate to his dormitory where she fell asleep almost instantly, wrapped safely in his arms.