19: the toad-faced woman

They carried their trunks to King's Cross station to go back to Hogwarts with Lupin, Tonks, Mad-Eye and Mrs Weasley accompanying them including Sirius in his Animagi form, joyfully wagging his tail as Harry and Kate grinned at him

They carried their trunks to King's Cross station to go back to Hogwarts with Lupin, Tonks, Mad-Eye and Mrs Weasley accompanying them including Sirius in his Animagi form, joyfully wagging his tail as Harry and Kate grinned at him. Mrs Weasley had forcefully pinned Kate's Prefect badge in front of her shirt because she had caught her leaving it at Grimmauld Place.

Both of Kate and Harry hugged Sirius goodbye, Kate kissed his furry head then boarded the Hogwarts Express.

She made her way with Fred and George to an empty compartment where they were joined by Lee Jordan. Kate lay her head on George's shoulder while he softly stroked her hair as they sat down.
"So, are you two finally snogging?" Lee asked with a smirk.
"Oh, we sure are" George replied with a wink.
"Well, about time, mate. I thought it'd take for ever for you both to not be stupid", Lee grinned while Fred laughed.
"Shut up, Lee"

Without realising, Kate dozed off in George's lap and woke up shortly after the lady with the trolley had left while rubbing her eyes and looking at the small pile of food beside Fred.
"Fred just told me about your cousin. I'm sorry to hear what happened" Lee said sincerely, Kate gave him a small smile of appreciation.
"So, you're still playing Chaser on your team?" Lee asked promptly while he shuffled through the pile of food.
"'Course, I am" Kate said proudly, "but I don't have a very good feeling about this year."
To which the boys nodded in agreement.

"Black, what's that?" Lee asked while pointing at the badge on Kate's chest.
"P for Pinhead badge" said Fred.
"Prefect? You're a Prefect?"
But before Kate could answer, Miles Bletchley, her Slytherin friend and fellow Prefect had stopped abruptly in front of their compartment and slid the door open.
"There you are, been looking all over for you. Come on, Black, prefect's carriage" he said like Kate was the only person sitting there, Fred and George glared at him while Kate got up and followed Bletchley to the Prefects' carriage.
When the train had started to near Hogwarts, Bletchley and Kate went back to the Slytherin compartment to change into their robes where she was greeted with hugs and pats.

She was the last one to leave the train because apparently Draco and his cronies had taken upon themselves to bully a first-year.
"Hi, what's your name?" Kate said softly to the 11-year-old blonde boy in front of her.
"M-Michael" he said nervously.
"Michael, my name's Kate. And if anyone ever troubles you again, you can come to me. Okay?"
"Okay" the boy nodded, Kate smiled at him and said, "let's take you to your friends"
She waved Michael off as he walked away with Professor Grubbly-Plank and the trail of first years.

"Oy, Kate!"

Someone shouted and she turned around to see Fred, George and Lee Jordan standing by a carriage, waiting for her.
"What held you back?" George asked.
"I was helping a first year", she told him and they moved towards the carriage, and between the shafts were these winged horses, there was more of skin and bones and no flesh, they were very strange looking.