twenty six.

Cassidy wasn't sure if this was to be her smartest move, but she had promised her mother that she would not hide anything from her. She had faith in her mother, and hoped that her mother returned that faith. She had written her mother a letter two days previously detailing her conversation with Draco that night about her father and how he wished to meet with her. The Christmas break was one day away from being over, and the students would be returning tonight and tomorrow. She had hoped that her letter had reached her mother after the others had left to come back to Hogwarts, she wanted to keep the mention of her father strictly between herself, Draco and her mother. Though it had only been a few days, she couldn't help but feel anxiety as she waited for a response from her mother. She thought perhaps her mother was mad at her, or hurt. Or maybe even worse, the thought of making her mother upset hurt Cassidy, all she ever wanted to do was protect her mother, but she knew that the curiosity surrounding her father was strong, she wanted answers, she wanted to know just why he left, why he had been persuaded by the darkness, and whether he was the reason that Cassidy never felt as though she belonged with the likes of Harry, Ron and Hermione. 

As she sat in the Slytherin Common Room alone, she heard the fire begin to hiss, Cassidy put her book down in confusion, staring back at the flames as they danced around violently. She stood from her seated position on the sofa, placing her green blanket into her empty space as she tentatively walked to the flames, kneeling down in curiosity. 

"Cass" she heard a voice say, her head instinctively turn around looking round the common room, expecting to see someone there, but there wasn't, the room was still empty. 

"Over here" the voice said again, snapping Cassidy's head back towards the fire, as she concentrated on the flames, she started to see flickers of her mother's face. Cassidy rubbed her eyes unable to believe what she was seeing, maybe she was tired and needed more rest. 

"Mother?" She questioned, not only to the fire but also to her own sanity. Was she really trying to have a conversation with a element?

"Yes it's me, I know this may seem strange" Her mother began

"More than strange mother" Cassidy sighed, still unable to comprehend exactly what was happening. "What are you doing here?" 

"I'm answering your letter, I needed to speak to you face to face, well as face to face as I could get right now" Her mother continued, "You mentioned that Draco knows your father" 

Cassidy sighed, "Yes, he said that he wants to meet me, I don't know what to do" 

"What are you thinking about it? Would you like to see him?" 

Cassidy paused for a moment, "I would. I think it would help answer some questions that I have" 

"That's something I can understand" Her mother sighed "I can't tell you what to do Cassidy, but I know that your father became someone I could never understand. He was such a caring man, until he made his choice"

"Draco didn't seem concerned about him" Cassidy spoke, "I'm sure if he found my father dangerous he wouldn't have suggested such a thing" 

"I suppose" her mother spoke lightly, "It is of course your decision. I can only warn you about him." 

"I just want to know why I feel so conflicted, why don't I fit in with the others?" Cassidy breathed, "I want to know why I was placed in Slytherin, why do I always feel such a conflict" 

Her mother sighed again, "Well the Order wanted me to ask you something, but I'm not sure that it would be appropriate, especially after you have admitted this inward conflict" 

Cassidy raised her eyebrows, "What was it mother?" 

"The Order want you to meet with your father, they want you to see if you can get any information from him, about The Dark Lord and his people