Chapter 11

Alexander swept me off my feet when I met him. It was the first night I forgot what happened 3 years ago, I could sleep in my own bed again without worrying about the window. Even after I matched him with Eliza, he made me content by his smile and the glances he stole when I was the only one paying attention.

There were two reasons why I gave Eliza Alexander: I wanted her to be happy and I was already married. My parents nor my sisters knew that I was married. I didn't tell them until after John Church and I moved to London (1782) with a 4 year old Phillip in between of us.

(Yes. The night I lost everything— was the night my son was conceived. That's why I can't stop remembering it, after a few months later, I noticed the nausea and the stomach growing underneath my clothes.)

I was pregnant.

During my last 6 months, I was with John at his house. Luckily, he didn't use me and we eloped as soon as we could. For awhile he was a great father and a kind husband, but good things never last long.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I let the thoughts drift away from my head as I attempt to go back to sleep. The clock says its 2:00 a.m. and I close my eyes; why did it come now?! I haven't thought about that since last year.

I sigh:

Maybe, just maybe Angelica; it's because that memory is getting replaced with new ones that are more painful than the last.

With the knot growing in my stomach, I turn on my side, do a silent prayer, and slowly sleep.

(The next day or the next next day WHENEVER THE DOCTOR COMES :/)

I see my sisters casually, well more like anxiously waiting for the doctor to come. Peggy looks eager, while Eliza looks more nervous than excited. "Eliza, are you okay?" She looks at me while trying to make up a fake smile (she's never good at those...) "No. Not really Angelica..." I sit next to her on the sofa and grab her hand. "What is it Elizabeth?" (Ooh fancy 😌) She squeezes my hand before she answers, "What if something's wrong and I can't have the child...WHAT IF I DIE?!!" She starts crying, h e a v i l y, and Peggy and I immediately calm her down with soothing talks and hugs.

About after 30 minutes, we get a knock at the door. "I'll get it!" Peggy sings as she opens the front door.

"This is the Schuyler household, correct?"

"Yes sir."

The doctor nods and steps into our home. From my perspective the doctor looks a bit older than me, and a bit smaller than the average height for a male.

"Where's Elizabeth Schuyler Hamilton?"

Peggy points to Eliza, he thanks her, and shakes Eliza hand. "Hello Mrs. Hamilton, I'm Dr. Williams." Eliza introduces herself and us, her sisters, as he inquires "Do you think we could lay you down on a bed, it'll be much easier to examine the expected child." Eliza leads him into the guest bedroom with Peggy and I closely behind.

(I don't know how they did this in the 18th century so TiMe sKiP)

"As long as you feel and treat yourself right, the baby should have no complications when it arrives in 4 months or so." Peggy and Eliza, well mostly Peggy, ask a plentiful amount of questions before he left.

I open my mouth to ask a question, yet nothing comes out, instead something starts to rise in my throat.

I think I have to vomit.

I rush to the nearest bathroom and well... puke. Peggy runs to my side, (I'm telling you she came out of nowhere) and soon follows in Williams and Eliza.

"Angelica are you okay?!" Peggy pulls my head up to see my dazed expression. "Has she been like this for awhile?" Williams starts to examine my composure and state I was in, "Well, she was a bit ill beforehand and had a fever and...fainted" "FAINTED?!?!" After hearing Eliza, Peggy immediately dashes out to grab our mom.

"Angelica, was it? Would you allow me to check up on you? Just to clear some suspicions." I nod in agreement and Eliza helps me up and leads me back toward the guest room.

"Angelica, I'll be right back, I've got to check up on the other little ones and Peggy. Heaven only knows what she's telling mother right now...Will you be fine?" I give her a smile and with that she leaves the room.

"Alright let's get the basics done first..."

He rummages around his stacks of papers in order to find a new patient sheet. "Here it is! So first things first...What's your name?" "Angelica Schuyler Church." "Date of birth?" "February 20th 1756." After getting through the first tedious part he apologizes for it taking 10 minutes because he forgot how to spell Albany...

"Angelica, have you had sexual intercourse recently?" If I could I would have looked red as a tomato! I give him a sheepish smile and he comprehends my concern, "Sorry I shouldn't have been straightforward about that... I completely understand" he thinks for about 10 seconds then instead says, "Have you done...*coughs* it *coughs* in the past 3 months?" I start thinking about the last three months.

Let's see...

Well...the night before I left London, I had non-consented sex with my husband (You know the usual 😀 👍) and about a week or two ago, I had sex with my sister's husband...so yeah. CLEARLY I HAD INTERCOURSE!

"Erm...yes I have..." Williams nods and begins to ask more questions. "Have you felt any exhaustion in the past week or so?"

I think about how many sleepless nights I've had...There's too many to count 🤷‍♀️

"I believe so???" He analyzes my face, looking for signs of his 'suspicion.' Eventually he writes something down and asks one last question,

"Besides today, have you experienced nausea and other things related throughout the day...preferably at random times throughout the day?"

"Of course." He sits down on a chair next to bed and takes a deep breath.

"Mrs. Church, I strongly think you're pregnant."

My expression changes in a matter of seconds... (Basically 🙂 to 😨)

"Pregnant?"

"Precisely."

He tells me why he deems so and congratulates me on this bundle of joy coming soon. He gets up to leave, but before he walks out the door, "How long until the child comes?" He stops in his tracks and turns around to face me, "Well based on the circumference of your stomach, I say about 8-ish, or 9 months...at most"

Real helpful there.

"But the last time I've done...it...was about two months ago!"

That's such a lie.

"So still maybe now, 7-ish, or 8 months to go. It's really hard to tell when there's hardly a stomach to look at." He gives me a small, hopeful smile and walks out of the room.

I'm pregnant. And it could be my husband's or-or...

"Alexander's."