Chapter 27

Was this chapter needed? No not at all...

Butttttt

I'm a sucker for congratulations so I made a chapter for it 😃 sorry if it's terrible 🤞 it's been awhile.

Like months...

I walked into Eliza's house and it was eerily quiet. When I came to the living room, there was Eliza: burning letters and hiding her sobs.

"Where's Peggy?"

"She took the children some place. I don't remember." Eliza stares at a letter longingly; then crumples it up angrily, while setting it next to the candle flame.

"Eliz—"

"Please.

Just...

I'm...

He said he loved me Angelica. In all of those letters he wrote, I thought he was mine. I was sure he was mine; he even stated it in an earlier letter. But now...who knows? Who knows if there had been more women he woo'ed with his charm...

I'm just glad to have you and Peggy on my side."

"...

Don't thank us. We're your sisters; we'll always be on you side."

"Thanks."

Walking upstairs, passing the guest room, is where I reach Alexander's office. I see him looking out a window. When he realizes someone came into the room, he turns and his face drops because he already knows what I'm about to say.

"DO YOU SEE HOW YOUR ACTIONS HAVE AFFECTED EVERYONE AROUND YOU?!"

"Angeli—"

"MY SISTER IS DOWNSTAIRS, QUESTIONING EVERYTHING SHE'S EVER WANTED, AND WHAT ARE YOU DOING?! SULKING?! BECAUSE PEOPLE THOUGHT YOU WERE EMBEZZLING?!?!"

"Ange—"

"AND ON TOP OF THAT—"

"Don't act like you haven't done worst! THIS WAS JUST A SACRIFICE I HAD TO MAKE FOR MY LEGACY!"

"What?" I scowl.

"You wouldn't understand Angelica. I've had to make decisions that will affect my life forever. Why am I even arguing with a Schuyl...er."

As he not-so-mumbles that last line, he looks at me with regrettable guilt as his stance turns from confident to defensive.

"S**t." He whispers.

"I WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND?! HAVE IVE NEVER HAD TO MAKE A SACRIFICE??"

Calmly but angrily, I walk closer to Alexander, gritting my teeth, and leaving only tension between us.

"I've had had to sacrifice everything to just be where I am today. And h*ll, I hate where I am today; but that DOESN'T mean I have the right or what to you?...the pRiViLegE, of telling the whole world how I deal— dealt with it."

"Name one thing you have sacrificed that was oh so important, huh?? Picking a different shade of pink—"

"YOU!!—"

Without realizing it, I raise my voice loud enough that after I stop speaking the silence is a dreadful and deafening cloud amongst us.

"...You

...wouldn't even begin to understand what I've sacrificed."

Alexander goes to speak, but I cut him off once more.

"What I've sacrificed for my parents, for my son, for my sisters...for Eliza. Is way more than you probably expect. They've affected my life so much that if I did something differently at least once, maybe I wouldn't be exactly where I am now. So forgive me if I don't weep at your tale of 'sleeping around' cause of stress."

I step back and stare at Alexander with pity and other emotions I can't exactly describe.

"Angelica..."

"What you and Eliza have is something amazing, Alexander.

You're friends,

lovers,

...

...soulmates.

Don't give that up, okay?"

I exhale a shakey breath when Alexander tries to say:

"Aren't we—"

"Eliza's biggest supporters? I know I am and I hope you are too. She needs you, Alex."

"And who do you need?"

As he says that, he steps closer to me and takes my hand into his; I immediately take it out.

"I don't know, but I'll figure it out. I always do."

I give a small, forced, smile and leave his office.

As I step out, feeling my words bunch up in my throat, I look down the hall and there she is.

"Eliza—"

"Thanks for having my back Angelica."

OMIGOSH HAHA I ACTUALLY WROTE ANOTHER CHAPTER!! I HONESTLY WAS ABOUT TO SCRAP THIS AND START ALL OVER AGAIN 😀🥲😭