Chapter 13 {🎢}

"Tell me what?"

Peggy nudges me to tell her; I look at her with a face saying 'I DON'T WANT TO TELL HER!' Eliza gives me a face of confusion, concern, and hurt. I look towards Peggy, but all she's doing is pointing at Eliza, practically begging me to tell her.

"Fine." Eliza closes the door behind her and sits next to me on the bed, peering at Peggy and I; probably wondering what she and I were hiding.

"Eliza...I have been—Well. You see my husb—"

Peggy cuts me off:

"Herhusbandhasbeentakingadvantageofherforhisownsexualpleasures! Heabusesherfornoreasonandhonestlyhesstupidbutthebigthingis...Basically he's r-.."

Eyes wide open and perturbed, tears start forming in Eliza's eyes. I hate seeing her like this.

"Eliz—"

Sweet, calm Eliza turns into an infuriated one. Her hand grips into a fist and fire can be seen in her eyes. Peggy looks terrified and scoots a bit backwards.

"That piece of ***t!"

Wow.

Alexander has way too much influence on her. She's not the type to curse...

"Why didn't you tell us anything?!"

Eliza and Peggy turn to me with curiosity, choler, and worry.

"Because...I don't know?"

I'm usually a great liar, but I don't understand what happened this time...

"It's fine. We don't have to talk about it." Peggy gives me a reassuring look and leaves the room.

Eliza gives me one final look of anger mixed with tenderness, then follows Peggy out the room.

I hope they don't mention this to anybody else...

I throw myself backwards on the bed and wish, no hope, no pray! They don't tell our parents.

(The Next Day)

It's 5 in the evening...

And our house is dead silent.

Peggy is fiddling with her nephews and niece, who also sense the tension between the adults.

Eliza seems to be trying to start a conversation between our parents and I.

Mom is glaring at dad.

Dad is looking out the window.

And I'm trying to do more than survive today.

"Angelica, would you prefer a girl or a boy?" Eliza gives me a look of desperation as she tries to start a conversation.

"A girl. I mean, it doesn't matter to me, but it would be nice to have a daughter instead of managing two boys."

Eliza and mom gives me a warm smile, while dad scowls at me in his seat.

Tired of our 'apparent' bullcrap, he gets up and leaves the living room, heading toward his office.

"Angelica go talk to him..."

"WHAT?!?! ME?" I give Eliza a look of stupidity as she tries to smile to make me agree.

   Backing up Eliza, mom says "I know what your thinking, but he might try and listen if he hears it from you."

"From me?! He hates me! I chose the wrong guy and—look where that got me."