Chapter 22

(Angelica's POV)

It was only the following day, but in the span of the few hours I was with Phillip, I told him I would be leaving to stay with a friend. He asked me if he visit them before and he did, but only once as a child.

"How are you going to break the news to him?"

I didn't think that far—

"I'll figure it out Phillip. Trust me."

Phillip looks at me a bit afflicted. I could see that he wants to help out, but I'm not risking anything else from happening. I tell him once more to make sure he understands. He nods in agreement.

"Now please. Go to you room."

Without a second of doubt, Phillip sprints upstairs, while I walk towards my husband's office. Once I approached the door, I had another pain hit my stomach like the one from before, however, this pain prolongs a bit longer than the last.

Pregnancy is great huh?

*knock knock*

I didn't hear anything from inside, yet I still walk in.

He's just sitting blankly at a paper on his desk. He seems conflicted; I don't know why though. I clear my throat and say:

"John I need to tell you something."

Me speaking spooked him out his desolated trance.

"What? Sorry. Distracted."

Here goes nothing I guess...

"I'm going to stay with a friend of mine for a bit. Just wanted to announce my leave before you realized I wasn't here."

He didn't look up from his desk, and simply asked:
"What for?"

"Well given last night, I don't think want to be here for most of the pregnancy. I can't risk anoth— I can't risk getting a miscarriage. You may not want another child, but I do."

He finally looks at me, but doesn't say anything. Hopefully, he can tell that I'm serious about this and will respect me.

A moment of silence passes as he still stares at me, scanning for some type of emotion.

"Angelica, if you believe it's wise."

After that he gave a small smile and I can't really tell if it's genuine or not. It seemed sad, yet that doesn't help since he did emotional manipulate me for years.

And sometimes I'm stupid enough to allow him to do it again.

We stop speaking and for some reason I'm startled. Is he really just going to let me go like that? I did tell him it for most of the pregnancy...

I start to leave as he starts to speak again: "Just be back here before you give birth. I would rather not miss our child's first day."

I give a nod, leave the room, close door, and let out THE. BIGGEST. SIGH. OF. RELIEF.

That went well?? It's kind of eerie how quiet it went. But I probably should leave before he changes his mind.

I tell Phillip that I was heading out once more and he proceeded to wish me on my way.

With two suitcases in each hand, a coat on, and a hope for the better; I walk out of the house I just came back to and hail a carriage.

One came and I told him the address. Sooner or later, the driver started to make small talk.

"I suspect everything is going well?"

After he said that, he chuckled a bit and proceeded to make the horses move to start our departure.