Tyler

The sun smothered silently against the dimming sky—a bright orange orb, a light, suspended in colliding shades. The ocean rose and fell. No, really. It did. Not just the waves. Droplets levitated, moved, then fell back in. as if they danced to some invisible music. Or perhaps to the sound of a star dying.

       Standing on the fine crushed sand of the beach, water lapping against it — sometimes a blue-grey hand reached out for something to grasp, though never did take ahold of anything —, Tyler stared out to the horizon. The ocean stretched far as the eye could see, but behind him lay a desert. It was a fairly large, treeless island. People lived here, yes; it was surprisingly cool. His eyes mimicked the motion of the rising water, the small props glistening as they rose, then offered a musical, piano-like sound when they fell back down.

       “You shouldn’t be that beautiful…,” Tyler whispered. As if on cue to his words, there was a large splash. There went another one, straight from The Line. Population 202, now minus one.

       He wondered if she was awake. If she was thinking of him across the mass of water, so far way in a different land. Her name was Aura Believer. They sent letters to each other every week. They have never met in person, but they are in love. They just don’t know it yet. He began each of his letters with, “Oh, Ms. Believer,” then begin to write about recent happenings, or sometimes of past ones, in the land where everything thought could be done. Literally. Where it would snow so heavily and coldly in the middle of summer, even though the sun took up the entire sky at that time.

       “It’s hard to sleep at nights,” he wrote once. “… because people use their hands for guns. They never truly mean to. Or if they did, we find them dead. It’s hard to know between dreaming, sleeping, being awake, and living. You see because sleeping isn’t like dreaming and being awake isn’t like living. Not in the land where anything can happen.”

{ this goes with the story after this one }