Twisting Fine China Arms

It’s been a very long day and Alison didn’t want to deal with anything else. School had been a drag, as usual. She had been caught daydreaming again, the usual. But this time it wasn’t just a warning, they called her parents and sent her to see the counselor. Yes, I haven’t been getting much sleep. No, it’s not a family situation. Yes, I’ll try to get to bed earlier. Thank you, goodbye.

       Her parents didn’t confront the situation, knowing their daughter could do better on her own than benefit from a yelling. With a heavy sigh as she got to her room, she tossed her backpack onto the bed, flopping onto it herself. She sated up at the ceiling, her mind thinking. Not thinking, dreaming, with her eyes open. Dreaming of adventures that happened to other people and wished they happened to her; no famous band or singer she adores taking pictures with her, no cool or expensive trip to go to, no adoring boyfriend to drag her out of real life, no mad man in a blue police box — wait a minute, could that even happen? He was just character, but, could he exist?

       Alison shrugged to herself, then closed her eyes, imagining other, if they existed. Probably, somewhere, there was another world. A whole different universe with its own system and planets. Where there people that also wondered if there was more than just universe? What if there was something at the end of a black hole, not death? She smiled at the thought.

       A tapping slowly took her out of her vivid imagination, forehead creasing at the disturbance. Getting up off the bed, she made her way to the window. No, no one throwing rocks, no bird nor branches to make a sound. The tapping continued, light and gentle, tentative. Beside her window was a wall, of which the dresser stood against with a large mirror to show the upper half of anyone’s body. Currently, a small portion of herself was reflecting; her right arm.

       Moving away from the window, she stood before the mirror absentmindedly, staring at her eyes. Greenish-Blueish, as her younger self called it. The sides of her eyes crinkled a bit as the reflection smiled, its hand then reaching up and tapping the glass.

       Tap.

       Tap, tap, tap.

       Tap, tap.

       Alison’s eyes widened as she backed away, but the duplicate lunged out from the mirror and grabbed her by the wrists to pull her in, succeeding. Ripples were left on the glass before it settled, and the two Alisons were gone.

       Gone from Earth.

       Gone to another world.