Little Fool

[ small Doctor Who fic that i'll be continuing . its my first time ever writing as the 10th and Rose, so i'm sorry to dissapoint /)3(\ please leave comments to help better my writing ~ ! <3 ]

-

“‘Ello there, little… thing!” The Doctor smiled widely, though a small frown tugged at his lips and his forehead creased.

       Rubbing her bright colored eyes, the little girl looked up at the man from her seated position on the floor. A sort of metallic, holly floor that made clingy and clangy noises. He raised an eyebrow and came down to his haunches to get on her level, to get a better look at her. One second, it was only he and Rose, and the next — this little girl appeared.

       “Gold eyes — that’s new, neva’ seen that before. Nice hair, red hair. I like red hair. Always wanted to be a ginger,” the Doctor said, going off on a string of words before catching himself with a chuckle. “Rose, get ova’ here!”

       The child tilted her head in confusion. Who was this man? Where was she? How did she get here?

       The blonde companion came about the TARDIS’s counsel quickly. “Yeah, is somethin’…” She then stopped as she noticed the girl. “And who’s this?” Looking to the Doctor for information, he shrugged and held a hand out to help the stowaway up.

       “Dunno. She sorta just… appeared,” he said after she was on her feet.

       “Can you tell us your name, sweetie?” Rose asked, taking tentative steps to the golden-eyed child, who was yet to be classified as friend or foe.

       She gave a small nod. “Grace…,” she said shyly, fiddling with the end of her dress. Young, perhaps six or seven. Golden eyes, freckles, and a silky mane of fiery red.

       “That’s a lovely name.” Rose smiled. “And how did you get in here?”

       An uncertain shrug. “I-I was practicing my morphing, learning to fly, and I got here…”

       “Flying? All the way into deep space?” The Doctor frowned a little.

       “Wait, so you’re not human?” added Rose.

       Grace didn’t know how to respond. “Can you please take me back to daddy?”

       “Yeah, jus’, hold on…” Taking out his sonic screwdriver, he scanned the girl and awaited analysis as he went about to TARDIS counsel.

       “C’mon little one. We’ll get you back to your daddy.” The blonde smiled, taking one of Grace’s hands. Sitting on one of the TARDIS’s seats, Rose crossed her arms as she leaned back. “So what are you? Not human, right?”

       Grace shook her head ‘no.’ “Shadow.”

       “An alien from another planet?”

       Another shake of her head. Rose’s eyebrows knit together in confusion.

       “Created on Earth,” The Doctor said, as if reading her mind. “These readings are off the charts…” He adjusted his glasses and looked closely at the screen before it crashed. Hitting the monitor in failed attempts to restart it, he looked at Grace.

       “What did you say you were, sweetheart?”

       “A Shadow…,” she replied quietly.

       The Doctor thought for a moment, leaning on the counsel as he did so. “Shadow, morphing, flying…” He snapped his fingers, beaming as he made a connection. “A Shadow! You dissolve away, morph, and reappear. Depending on the time of day…?” the Timelord trailed off, his hypothesis denied by a shake of Grace’s head. “No, of course not, that’s stupid! By will, so, you shift into… oh I’ve never met a Shadow before, I don’t really know, but!” He raised a finger in the air, all the while having him pace about with wild hand motions. “You, are… young — seven, nine? — and unstable. Therefore, while your morphing-flying-dissolving process, your molecules and atoms reformed you, right here in the TARDIS!”

       He smiled widely at his deduction, breathing a little heavily, but Rose and Grace simply stared back at him.