season 2 | chapter 16

HE REFUSED TO see anything past his desire to find her

Eos clapped his wings, forcing them to accelerate his speed as he soared through the morning sky, the images of the previous night a cursed tattoo embedded in his memory. For seconds he tried to convince himself his sight had been fooling him, that there was no way what he'd witnessed belonged to reality, their reality.

The Shadows were here, and Warren had attacked Selene.

He had planned to go for one last flying tour around the city to reassure Helios there was no trouble when Selene's horror as she attempted to free herself from the leader of the Sky Kingdom's Underworld left him wordless, his breaths sharp from the shock. Before he decided to dive into her rescue, Warren had already delivered his threat and disappeared.

Eos fled, his mind having a rough time adjusting to the facts. He had failed to protect his sister. Instead of lunging forward and alarming everyone, the blood in his veins chilled, stilling him altogether. His presence would've been pointless afterwards and high chances were it would've added to Selene's angst.

His heart was shattering to pieces repeatedly at his sister's imprudent philosophy of handling everything alone. She didn't recognize the power of a united family and he wasn't going to tolerate her persistence of him remaining to the side-lines; a useless spectator.

Selene wasn't willing to listen or compromise in any form. She didn't settle, but so didn't he.

The low temperatures of the winter dawn didn't alleviate the suffocating warmth gathered on Eos' cheekbones; his shoulders taut. For once he was immune to the glory of his task – to paint the skies golden. A profound, unnerving feeling of helplessness replaced the thrill of setting the start towards a brighter day.

He hated the role of an overwatch. Helios had assigned to him the affirmation of the city's safety at the end of the day, but Eos was grateful he hadn't voiced aloud his inner complaints, otherwise he wouldn't have discovered the place Hilary and her friends resided in for the time being.

The pale rose clouds of the dawn were subsiding under Eos' sparks of magic dripping from his fingertips, giving the opportunity to the rays to sed light to the Capital – and maybe, some hope.

Selene, hang in there.

He had to act and no one was going to stop him.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

A significant perk of being an early riser was that she didn't feel trapped into a race against time.

Hilary was perched on the windowsill, the pillows of the couch Kai occupied during the night supporting her legs. Her eyes were absorbing the pages of the book, immersed into the talented storytelling. Fantasy stories were her least favorite genre along with horror as she deemed both melodramatic.