season 2 | chapter 20 (iv)

THE SAPPHIRE HOVERING over his palm was a reminder of everything he'd lost

Kai leaned his back on the frame next to the windowsill at Mr. Davidson's classroom of Abstract Magic. The tranquility he sought from the absence of noise from around him and from the rainbow of vivid colors the sunset painted the sky with was nowhere to embrace the darkness creeping into his veins.

The warmth of the bittersweet memories he was accustomed to was long gone. A new wave of emptiness came to replace all the moments of happiness his mother gave him and all the maturity her and his father made sure to pass onto him from an early age.

He had been delighted, honored, when he understood he could take more steps forward than the children of his age. He possessed the clarity to acknowledge the bigger picture in a variety of unpleasant circumstances at his school, to not fall into the trap of misbehaving, not because he was afraid of the consequences, but because he didn't want to.

He gained no satisfaction from the scorn of others.

Goldstream Academy students tended to imagine his background as one of those silent, broody kids who if one dared to cast a glance at him for further than allowed he'd tear the aforementioned person in pieces. Granted, his powers and his training contributed to the formation of the specific status - he was the son of a legend after all.

The irony behind the false conclusions was damning.

He adored silence, in fact he loved it so much that he couldn't force himself to fret over fitting in. His family was everything he could've asked for. The kindness of his parents' serene - yet equally fierce when demanded - souls, with the irresistable combination of music was his secret formula to a peaceful life.

Fragments of the life he bid goodbye to years ago flashed before his eyes, the brightness of the sapphire pushing to the surface images he wasn't strong enough to bear their loss.

There she stood, donned in her white summer dress. Her natural beauty radiated the song within the depths of her heart as the birds chirped their own melody on the branches of a maple tree.

She was basking under the sunlight, the gentle breeze carrying the scent of the grass that held some of the morning dew lifting the skirt of her dress. The striking patterns of sea blue on her ensemble captivated him every time.

Kai inhaled a sharp breath. He wanted to, he needed to remember the color of her eyes.

An indescribable, almost inaudible sound, as if a voice emanating from the web of his mind ended his trance. It returned him to the present of pain. A knife being twisted at his back wasn't capable of reaching the extent of the void he put immense, consistent effort to cover throughout the years.

He wondered if it could ever fade away.

Kai shifted his gaze to the jewel lying mid-air over his palm. Its brightness dimmed the more he looked at it.