season 2 | chapter 14 (iii)

"HUDSON WAS STARING at you

"HUDSON WAS STARING at you."

The world around them was a colorful blur. Tyson and Lyla picked up the rhythm with ease, their bodies in sync with the music. The song was upbeat and Lyla prayed for her knees to keep pulling through and not give out beneath her any moment.

"He was?" she asked amidst hasty breaths, the blood in her ears pounding. She could barely make sense of him upon the erratic beats of her heart, her adrenaline at its zenith.

"Yeah. Probably undressing you with his eyes if the hunger in them is anything to go by."

Lyla sighed. "That's the final straw. You'll never get to keep me company during my writing sessions again." It was all she could do since one hand was holding his shoulder firmly while the other was clasped in his. Settling for verbal responses instead of a deserved punch was a compromise difficult adjusting to.

"At least they paid off. I can describe sexual tension with a variety of words."

Lyla suppressed a grin, that tickling sensation against the corners of her lips urging them to lift upwards. He paid attention to the details even though he wasn't obliged to.

"They did," she agreed with a nod, giving in to her desire to smile at last. "Seriously though." She lowered her voice despite it wasn't the smartest idea in a public space where music was echoed everywhere. "Was he?"

Tyson almost snapped. Her anxiety combined with an intense, yet well-masked insecurity whenever she truly liked someone resurfaced. "What do you think?" He met her troubled features with his characteristic pointed look of brows arched and eyes focused with decisiveness. "He'd be a blind ass if he wasn't."

Lyla ran her tongue across her bottom lip to relieve the dryness. "Not necessarily. There are many girls who are stunning..." she trailed off and squirmed under his relentless gaze.

"I'm not belittling myself in case you're worried," she clarified and switched the subject. "What about you? How come this sudden interest in changing Hilary's perspective?"

Pressuring her would result in an adverse reaction. His temporary deference spoke volumes, but Tyson missed her bone-reaching sigh of relief and gratitude. He was occupied with finding a proper answer.

When he did, he wasn't pleased with the truth. "Because I'm tired. I don't care what she says anymore, I just want to tie up any loose ends and avoid dealing with her from now on."

The shock on Lyla's face was unmissable. It didn't stop him nonetheless. "I don't mind her being on the team, but the longer we stay away from each other's radar, the better."

"I see," she told him with a dim, condescending smile. "If you believe it's better that way, do it."

"There's no better in the situation, but thanks," he told her as he signalled an oblivious Max with a nod of his head to spin Hilary closer.