season 2 | chapter 20 (v.ii)

THE SCORCHING SUN of the desert shone with insufferable heat

It was the group's first thought as the heat carried by the northern wind blew with an unforgiving fervor against their faces, carrying myriads of sand grains.

The legacy they wished they were capable to build one day was erased. The struggle wasn't worth it.

These were the words Tyson repeated to himself while walking. He lifted his arm to protect his vision that got blurred the more power the desert wind gained. Albeit his feet were sinking slightly in the ground, the grains tickled his toes to a point he could continue marching. For that, he was grateful.

They had no expectations of the quest awaiting them, nor could they form a vague image. A characteristic trait of the three Guardians of Bravery was unpredictability. One truth they had absolute certainty of was their desire to take advantage of the challenge to the maximum to test the adventurers who came by the Hall of Honor with all kinds of requests.

Tyson broke the silence of an exhaustion that grew each second. "I admit I'm not smart enough to understand why the guardians chose a place like this.

"Tyson, for the love of God, please..." Hilary told him amidst panting breaths, her chest heaving before relaxing again. Her magic was on a respectable level but she needed to enhance her physical training. The previous month's elections for school president took a mental toll on her and she refused to push her limits through practicing. Understanding her boundaries and recognizing when not to pressure for the preservation of her overall health was one rule she abided with.

She didn't reject the disappointment that came as a result of her actions within a convenient range. The guardians had established their point; there was a price for every little choice.

Max increased the rhythm of his pace to stand beside him. "You're right, man. I can't see the meaning of this either."

"We have to think outside of the box." Hilary's voice reached their ears from a few steps behind them. "Maybe the desert plays a symbolic role. Esmeralda told us that the essence of bravery is insufficient without empathy."

A spark of a new-found idea crossed Max's mind. "Hilary, you're brilliant! Perhaps the message behind the specific location is a feeling. The desert could represent the loneliness."

Hilary's eyes lit in the middle of the hazy landscape. "Have I told you how amazing you are, my friend?" She put a tender hand on his shoulder to captivate his full attention, Max's calm and clever nature stunning her altogether.

Max reciprocated her appreciative gesture with a cordial smile. He was glad he could encourage someone who he deemed they considered him an acquaintance a friend.

Tyson didn't halt to watch their interaction. Her manipulative attitude worked her charms on others, but he was adamant on not falling for them. With one move of her finger she had them wrapped around her thumb. She was smart, he gave her that, otherwise she wouldn't have told the people she surrounded with what they wanted to hear to ensure their favoritism towards her.