season 1 | chapter 12

"YOU DIDN'T HAVE to get in trouble for me

"YOU DIDN'T HAVE to get in trouble for me."

Max had a towel folded and wrapped around his neck, the soft material absorbing his stress along with his sweat. The dim light in the locker room eased the tension in his eyes, a stark contrast to the brightness of the training room.

He couldn't help the guilt creeping up in his chest. If he had endured the exercises for an added ten minutes, Lyla wouldn't have to spend an extra hour of practice.

The moment he and Lyla stepped out of the training room, he was filling his head with accusations at his inability to keep up with the pace of the others. He was undoubtedly strong, but he needed to put a double effort to step up his game.

If he was stronger, Lyla wouldn't ruin her impression of their new leader.

Lyla shot him a crooked grin. She shut her locker with one hand, holding a fresh pair of leggings, a T-Shirt and ankle socks with the other. "I've told you for the hundredth time, Maxie, it's fine."

Max sighed, his fingers tugging on his honey-colored curls. "It isn't with me. I know you want others to hold a great impression of you."

Lyla sat on the bench, placing the clean clothes beside her. "I do want to leave an acceptable impression wherever I go, but that doesn't mean I won't defend myself or my friends when someone is unfair," she told him as she unlaced her shoes. "Besides, we shouldn't give people excessive worth. He's a new entry in town."

Max let out a breathless chuckle. "You're right."

Lyla, however, wasn't joking. "I'm serious," she said, both knots of her shoes lose. She freed her feet from the heat, curling her toes with a satisfied smile. Enjoying the simple things was the key to life, even if they were as casual as the relief of a break after an exhausting practice.

He rubbed the nape of his neck, his nerves calming slowly. "What are you going to do now?" he asked.

Lyla had tossed her head back, hanging in mid-air. The soft light illuminated her face. She averted her stare from the ceiling to him and at her questioning look, he elaborated, "I mean, are you really going to go?"

She allowed her eyelids to fall shut. She reopened them shortly and drew in a breath. "I don't have much of a choice, do I?"

Max couldn't share her point of view. Lyla, or anybody in this world, couldn't be commanded to do something they weren't willing to put their hearts into. "You can always skip it, you know. Come up with an excuse that your stomach is hurting, or the guys and I can go straight to him and tell him it's your time of the month."

Her eyes widened and she hastened to bring her head back to her sitting position, aligning it with the rest of her body. She forced her back to withdraw from relaxation and her cheeks flushed, a pink hue spreading across them.

Max shrugged, trying to conceal his mirth to no avail. "It is a valid excuse to get away without questions arising."

Lyla shook her head, flustered. "It won't work. Unfortunately, he's anything but foolish." She didn't want to add she believed he could stand outside of the female bathrooms before he walked in and waited on a counter for an ungodly amount of time to confirm the guys were stating the truth.