season 1 | chapter 09

HER HEART WARMED in late afternoons

The sun tinged the sky with rainbow hues, the autumn leaves dancing in circles a few steps away from her feet.

Lyla was both psychologically and physically ready to head back home, striding to the beginning of the Academy's courtyard, when a bell rang in her head. She had the meeting in the training room and skipping it to plop on her bed wasn't an option.

Home sweet home had to wait.

She spun on her heel and crossed to the hall with the training rooms. It was the only hall in the building with doors swiping to the side to open and the only one with the doors visible to the inside of the room from the half and above.

In other words, it was an excuse to have a glimpse of another's training without actually violating their privacy. The access to peeking could be blamed on the design of the doors.

For the first time in a while, she was curious. Her team hardly arranged meetings without revealing why. Lyla guessed they probably were as clueless as her, otherwise, they would have told her.

They would have told her. Right?

All she got was a cryptic message from Tyson. Emergency meeting in the training room at 8. Don't ask, I know as much as you do about those fucking fireworks.

Her eyes had been glued to the final word. There was a crease in her forehead as she was typing her response.

Fireworks? Are you sure you aren't seeing things?

The vibration came a minute later on her hand, the back of the phone transferring the buzz to her palm.

Do me a favor and try to understand my imagination. You're a writer. You should have seen this coming.

Lyla held her phone with both hands, her fingers rushing across the screen to form her answer.

Your point?

His message lighted her screen almost immediately.

Right. I said fireworks because this is pretty big.

Her fingers hovered over the screen. She hesitated to type.

And you know nothing about it?

Something was off. She couldn't detect what, but her gut clenched. At the end of the meeting, something would be different, but Lyla's gears weren't in overdrive for once. This resulted in her eyes not moving from the three dots behind Tyson's words as he typed.

Max probably knows but I couldn't catch up with him today. Just don't be late.

She grunted. I promised to bed I would be there before night.

Well, change of plans. Get your lazy ass in the training room at 8, alright?

It didn't matter if he couldn't see her. She was going to sigh heavily, her chest rising and falling. I don't have another choice, do I?