season 1 | chapter 10

LYLA GAWKED AT him

LYLA GAWKED AT him.

Words abandoned her lungs, her tongue, her lips. They were nowhere to be found and she remained rooted to her spot.

People shouldn't drop bombs like that.

It didn't take long for her to process the statement. It wasn't unbelievable. It wasn't out of reality's realms. It was so sudden, so unexpected, like a comet racing across the sky lightning fast before it collided with the ground, the crater a fresh wound to what used to be part of the earth.

Lyla couldn't find it in her to be happy or sad, pleased or malcontent. All she was sure of was the rush of annoyance in her veins.

Her reaction was absurd. She had no reason to be her anger's victim. It was the fear of change that made her stomach clench and the pressure in her chest to tighten. The fear that nothing would be the way they were familiar with thus far.

But it all came down to one thing.

They had a leader. A proper leader for once.

The group was wordless. Kai couldn't blame them for it, considering it wasn't easy for a stranger to walk in a room and announce with an unwavering assurance that things were impossible to stay the same. The appearance of a new person was one thing, their sudden embodiment in other's lives was another thing altogether.

Kai's label of a leader hung upon their heads, the newcomer's announcement a broken pause button.

It was Johnny who broke the ice an eternity later. "We don't need a leader."

Kai wasn't naive to anticipate a welcome party or the team to envelop him with open arms. But their reaction didn't cross his mind either.

Not being the one to let his armor drop, he folded his arms and asked, "Are you sure about that?"

The corner of Johnny's mouth twitched. The answer was easy. "We were fine without a leader before. I don't see why we need to have one now."

Kai couldn't fathom whatever was running in these teenagers' minds, but he was certain of one thing. A mind-reader wasn't necessary to understand the obvious. They were afraid of change.

The lack of a person guiding them consistently was a negative sign in his books. He could only hope they wouldn't have to face indiscipline, or if they did, it would be wiped out in the early stages.

Kai controlled the urge to sigh, holding back his lungs from releasing a weary breath. Who was he kidding? Discipline was developed throughout the years, starting from the young ages of adolescence. The people across him were already seventeen and adulthood was months away for some.

He was perspicacious enough not to involve himself in a neverending argument. As much as he wasn't looking forward to it, he had to take baby steps with this team, he surmised. Their static silence betrayed their reluctance to adapt to the new environment, the environment he would participate in from now.