season 2 | chapter 11

THEY WERE FALLING into the sky

Whoever had the illusion that going through a portal would need some time until it led them to their destination should have erased the idea out of their minds as early as possible to prevent further disappointment.

Lyla, Hilary, and Mariah didn't risk any chances. They transformed into their fairy form and dived into the cream-white clouds scattered everywhere on the bright sky illuminated by the midday sun. The boys were in their aid if Tyson and Johnny's panicked, guttural sounds were anything to go by, their throats straining from the pain, the intense wind of a high altitude almost drowning out their voices.

Lyla didn't expect to be the one to catch Kai of all people, her arms looping under his forearms, ceasing his fall altogether. They stood in a state of balance and if he was as surprised as she was, his expression betrayed nothing. It was masked into the familiar neutrality everyone was used to. Even though Lyla didn't anticipate any thankful signs from him, she found a part of her growing irritated at the basic lack of manners from people. It was ridiculous since that was the way they were, but still. A simple 'thank you' would be adequate.

Kai gave her a subtle nod Lyla made sure to return, inwardly glad he surpassed her expectations. It was a mistake of hers to rush to assumptions as far his lack of manners was concerned. Kai had manners indeed, but the way he signified them differed.

A small smile curved her lips upwards. She was becoming enthusiastic over the simplest, required manners everyone should have.

Still, he wasn't an asshole not to thank her. It didn't matter he didn't voice it aloud. Sometimes, silence had a power words could only dream of having.

Kai was grateful he had found a way to return to her the note that slipped from her notebook the other day, back when the attacker made them both lose their consciousness in the library. She had placed the notebook amidst physics and maths under her desk. Albeit his action could be characterized as a violation of her privacy, or, in simple terms, going through her stuff, Kai had minimum options. He couldn't afford the uneasiness of her being aware he had read it.

However, he was fortunate to have luck on his side. After chemistry, he had waited for everyone to exit the room to slip the note with unhindered success to a random page. He had pretended to be absorbed in a unit they were assigned to study with concentration for Friday, surrounding the topic of Acids and Bases.

It was a blessing he didn't have to worry anymore.

He chanced a glance at her. He couldn't tell if her attention was here, to them, or elsewhere, in a place entirely different.

Lyla turned her head to the side. She bit a laugh. Hilary was the one to catch Tyson, casting Stasis—a spell that stopped one from falling, but they could escape the equilibrium as long as the caster was moving, or in Hilary's case, was flying. The same process developed with Mariah. She caught Max and helped Johnny—who although had a scowl on his lips for not being the privileged one—to follow her into the sky.