Chapter 16

Mom took away my phone for the rest of the weekend, claiming to give it back when she felt I deserved it. I knew I wouldn’t have to wait long for she had to have some sort of connection with me. We didn’t have a house phone so the cell would be the only way.

            Nonetheless, I pretended as though my punishment was effective. I knew if I acted as if I was happy, she’d actually end up punishing me instead of this “grounding” she gave.

            I didn’t do much Sunday, mostly stayed in my room. Mom handled Mason downstairs. I could hear her anger growing as her patience waned, yet I did nothing.

            She deserved it.

            I was being punished for something I had no choice but to do.

            Monday came and I awoke late, making sure I spent the least amount of time downstairs. I dressed slowly, taking my time.

            When I finally walked downstairs, Mom didn’t acknowledge me at all. I grabbed a banana and a bottle of water, slipping on sneakers. It was silent, for Mason wasn’t awake yet. Mom continued to flip through a magazine.

            After I finished my banana, I grabbed my bag, heading out the door.

            The bus ride seemed longer than normal. It was moderately quiet for a bus, everyone still tired from the weekend. I leaned my head against the window, resting my eyes for the ride, my thoughts drifting off topic.

            Walking into school, I tried my best to avoid my friends. I knew if I started talking, I wouldn’t be able to stop. I never liked dragging them into my troubles.

            Unfortunately for me, almost as soon as I got to school, I felt someone fall into step with me.

            “Hey Pumpkin” Caden said, walking with me to my locker.

            I sighed, spinning my combination “What do you want?”

            “Why do you think I want something?”

            “Go away, Caden, I’m not in the mood” I grumbled, shoving textbooks into my backpack. He sighed, closing my locker for me.

            I guess I don’t need to bring my science textbook to class today.

            I pushed past him, walking to the library to finish my essay before school began. I dropped my bag on the floor, taking a seat at one of the computers. Caden took a seat next to me, turning on his computer.

            “Caden, seriously, what do you want from me?” I whined, rubbing my eyes.

            “How was your weekend?” He asked, trying to change the subject.

            I opened up a word document, plugging in my memory stick “It was fine.”

            “Your mom called me and told me not to come Saturday. Everything alright?” He asked, sounding concerned.

            “Everything’s fine” I said through gritted teeth. I pulled out my hand-written copy, typing furiously.

            “You sure? You look a little mad” He teased, nudging my leg with his knee.

            “Oh no, I’m just a big ball of sunshine” I muttered sarcastically. “Look, I have to finish this essay, can we chat another time?”