Chapter 17

We ended up going to McDonald’s instead of heading home first. I wasn’t entirely sure how we got on the subject, but the next thing I knew, we were parked in front of the building. I got out of the car, closing the passenger door.

            Caden met me on the other side, falling in step with me as we walked in.

            The place wasn’t entirely deserted, a few guys lingering around the TV’s to watch the games. The workers behind the counter weren’t paying attention as we walked up, goofing off.

            Caden cleared his throat, getting the attention of the heavily acne-scarred boy at the register.

            “What can I get you?” He asked in a bored tone.

            Caden looked up at the menu above, debating “I’ll have a number two with a large soda and whatever she wants”

            “I’m fine, dude” I said, my face flushing. I didn’t want him to feel like he had to buy me something.

            “Get something, Pumpkin” He said “I’ll pay”

            “No Caden really…”

            “She’ll have the same” Caden said for me. I crossed my arms.

            “Medium please, not large” I corrected.

            The boy shrugged, plugging the information into the register. He told Caden the total, and Caden handed him a twenty. The boy set out a tray, getting the chance.

            “You didn’t have to get me anything” I said, not looking at Caden.

            He wrapped an arm around my shoulders, “You’re welcome”

            Caden took the tray to a table while I filled up our sodas, returning with napkins and ketchup. I sat down across from him in the booth, taking my quarter pounder in my hands.

            “You’re going to have to explain to my mom why I’m not home on time. ” I said before taking a bite out of my burger.

            Caden smirked, looking down at his. His hair fell in front of his eyes, hiding them from me. Caden took a bite, chewing slowly.

            “I will”

            “I’m grounded too, so good luck”

            He snorted “You’re grounded? What for?”

            “Because I slept over at Jason’s house Friday night”

            He raised an eyebrow “How’d you get there? I dropped you off at your house”

            “Jason drove. He’s a junior, Caden, he can drive too”

            “Why’d you go over there?”

            “Can I not spend some time with my boyfriend?”

            “Pumpkin, just answer my question”

            I sighed “Well after you uh… left dramatically, a few hours later, Mom came home drunk so I called Jason and told him to pick me up”

            I left out the part with her bringing that sleazy guy into our house. I didn’t think it was any of Caden’s business to begin with, but he did know about my mother’s drinking problems.