Chapter 3

Around eleven I left Mason’s room, positive he was fast asleep. I didn’t want to leave, having to forcibly drag myself from the room¸ but I trusted Caden less. The guy just didn’t seem good. It didn’t help that he was the ‘babysitter’ a.k.a. spawn of Satan my mother sent upon me for my stubbornness or whatever the reason.

                Caden being downstairs alone in my house just didn’t seem to click with me. As I quietly walked down the stairs so not to wake Mason, I heard the sound of the TV. It was low, quiet enough to keep the 3-year-old asleep.

                I entered the room, standing in the doorway, arms crossed. Caden looked up from the TV, giving me a slight nod that he registered my presence before turning his attention because to the box of light in front of him.

                I rolled my eyes, walking in front of him. Caden tilted his head left and right, trying to see past me.

                “Joanna, move please” Caden said, watching the TV between my legs.

                “You’re a fantastic babysitter” I snarled sarcastically

                He rolled his eyes “And what makes you say that?”

                “Not once did you check on Mason. A normal babysitter would’ve stayed with the boy all night long” that was a lie. A normal babysitter would do exactly what he was doing. Plus a girl to hook up with.

                I guess that wasn’t an option since I was here to rat him out.

                “One, I did check on him. Two, I saw you were in with him so I figured he was in good hands. Three, I still continued to check on him” Caden said, reaching out and forcibly moving me out of the way. I stumbled to the left, anger bubbling up inside me.

                “Not once did you, you dirty little liar” I hissed.

                “Pumpkin, sit down.”

                “Pumpkin? Excuse me?” I crossed my arms, cocking my hip.

                He looked at me with a raised eyebrow. “Are you giving me attitude? I am in charge after all. Sit down before I make you sit in the corner”

                I rolled my eyes “I’m not listening to you”           

                “Do you really want to sit in the corner?” He grinned devilishly

                I mocked him the way he spoke “Do you really want to sit in the corner?”

                “Alright, corner it is” Caden stood up, walking past me. I snorted moving away and sitting on the couch. He left the room for a moment while I stole back the remote changing the channel. A few minutes later, Caden returned. With a chair. He set it facing the corner and walked over to me.

                “Alright do you want to do this the easy way or the hard way?” He asked

                “You’re not really g—” I started

                “Hard way it is!” Caden reached down, grabbing my wrist and pulling me up. I stumbled up, nearly crashing into him. He laughed “Careful there, pumpkin. Don’t trip or anything”

                I glared at him as he pulled me over to the chair. He pushed me down into the sitting position, his hands pressing against my shoulders.